Remote debug web app?

I wanted to remotely debug my web application which is not running on my development environment.
What Extra/Remote Debugger do I use? Desktop, Console?

If the remote machine is on the same network as the development machine, you don’t really have to do anything except load the web app on a browser on the remote machine.

You’ll need to know the IP of the development machine so you can enter that in the browser.

For example, on my Mac the local IP is 10.0.1.5. On my Windows VM, I can remote debug by launching the app on my Mac. It starts in Safari. I then go over to my Windows VM, open a browser there and enter the IP and port for the Mac: http://10.0.1.5:8080. Now you can test it in the Windows browser.

When using a console or desktop application the IDE copies the file over to the host machine, executes them and you remain in the debugger in your IDE machine… Where the web pages that the app is hosting are loaded is not relevant. (?)

I suppose it depends on what you are testing. Loading the web pages on the remote machine will allow you to use the debugger on the development machine to test the how the web app runs on the browser on the remote machine. This is usually more valuable than running the actual web app executable on the remote machine.

If you really wanted to run the executable on the remote machine, the console debugger would be the way to do so.

Actually lets back up a moment. You can actually use either one. The whole reason to have the console debugger is so you can run it on a system that does not have a UI at all…

Paul, that’s clever indeed for testing the app with different browsers/OSes.

Btw. I did not found docs about remote debugging, how to do it, when to use Console or Desktop debugger, and other interesting suggestions like your.
I’m working with a team of developers which are new to Xojo and sometimes I have to explain how to remote debug works.
Having a short tutorial would be very appreciated.

It this something you can use?
Paul Lefebvre - Remote Debugging

[quote=25662:@Paul Sondervan]It this something you can use?
Paul Lefebvre - Remote Debugging[/quote]

Thanks Paul, this is a good start, but it doesn’t talk about Console and Desktop Debugger use. Also debugging Web projects is a little bit different.
Finally, all this should be available with official documentation.

It is. See User Guide Book 3: Framework, Chapter 8: Debugging, Section 4: Remote Debugging.

I found it now, thanks Paul.
However I already tried myself and was not able to find it, then now I found what’s missing from the docs: the index.

[quote=25688:@Massimo Valle]I found it now, thanks Paul.
However I already tried myself and was not able to find it, then now I found what’s missing from the docs: the index.[/quote]
There won’t be an index. The docs are all easily searchable, though using your PDF viewer or iBooks on the iPad.

However, I am working on adding the table of contents for each of the books to the wiki so that the wiki search can help direct people to the right part of the books as well. Here is the one for User Guide Book 1: Fundamentals: Page Not Found — Xojo documentation

Yeah I mean the TOC, sorry, not the index.
But why not adding it directly to the book?

[quote=25701:@Massimo Valle]Yeah I mean the TOC, sorry, not the index.
But why not adding it directly to the book?[/quote]
You can view the TOC using the Table of Contents sidebar in your PDF viewer. iBooks also shows a TOC.

Unfortunately, iBooks Author does not embed the TOC into the PDF itself as part of the text.

Paul … your idea worked great. I debugged my app built on windows on my mac. I had to click Go - Connect to Server in the Finder and connec to the windows computer.

Now I need to test my program on an iPad. Any chance I can do this? There is no go to server on the ipad as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance …

To test a web app on the iPad, you do the same thing. Just enter the IP and port of the machine running the web app and the iPad will connect to it.

For example, my Mac Pro is 10.0.1.4 on my local network. To test a web app on my iPad, I run it on the Mac and then open Safari on the iPad and enter this as the URL:

http://10.0.1.4:8080

beautiful thanks

@Paul Lefebvre

You mentioned in a post above:

Where exactly is this, I can’t seem to find it.

I’m trying to debug a web app on our web server and need some help.

Launched it from the terminal and it now says application ready. Now what?