Remote Debug from Parallels to PC

I’m still running RB2012r2.1. I need to use Windows since I have a Windows only plugin to access hardware on a PC.
I’m running RB on Windows 7 in Parallels on a Mac and would like to remote debug the code running on the PC also Windows 7.

Does anybody know how to get RB in Parallels to connect to the Remote Debugger Stub.

TIA Hanspeter

Hi, I’ve already done this, and it’s as simple as remote Debugging on a remote machine, You just have to configure the Network on the Virtual machine correctly.

Thanks Sandro, the network setup is my problem. Could you give me an example.

TIA Hanspeter

Can you get a ping response both ways?

[quote=14084:@Hanspeter Bleuler]I’m still running RB2012r2.1. I need to use Windows since I have a Windows only plugin to access hardware on a PC.
I’m running RB on Windows 7 in Parallels on a Mac and would like to remote debug the code running on the PC also Windows 7.

Does anybody know how to get RB in Parallels to connect to the Remote Debugger Stub.

TIA Hanspeter[/quote]

You can just run Xojo on your mac & remote debug to the PC
You dont have to run the IDE in WIndows to debug to Windows
That would remove one layer & probably run a bunch quicker

Norman, I tried that but my plugin only works if I run RB/Xojo in Windows.

On the Mac I set my build to Windows only but I get the following error message each time I call a plugin method.

Code, GLOBALS.gpib_init, line 31, This item does not exist, ret = GPIB_err()

I know the plugin needs some windows .dll (National Instruments) installed but I don’t know if this is the issue since I don’t have this on the Mac.

@Hanspeter Bleuler
How is networking set up for the windows VM? Shared, Bridged or Host-Only?

Check the virtual machine network settings. Chances are you are running it as NAT instead of obtaining an IP from your router.

Also, check windows firewall settings and this can also contribute to the issue

[quote=14195:@Hanspeter Bleuler]Norman, I tried that but my plugin only works if I run RB/Xojo in Windows.

On the Mac I set my build to Windows only but I get the following error message each time I call a plugin method.

Code, GLOBALS.gpib_init, line 31, This item does not exist, ret = GPIB_err()

I know the plugin needs some windows .dll (National Instruments) installed but I don’t know if this is the issue since I don’t have this on the Mac.[/quote]
AHHHHH … I bet the plugin only has a windows segment to it which would explain why you get that when trying to run from a Mac to Windows.

It’s working now. Thanks to your tips. I needed to change the configuration of the VM networking in Parallels to bridged/ethernet.

An ‘old’ blog (when Xojo was Real Software), written by Paul Lefebvre, has helped me getting debugging work in Parallels.
Remote Debugging

Thanks Paul. it worked right away.