Remote Debug from macOS ARM does not run on Windows Intel

I’m running a Windows debug build from macOS on ARM. The destination is a Windows 11 in a Parallel VM on a macOS Intel machine. The project compiles and the targ.gz file is transmitted completly. But then the decompressing process hangs with 100 % CPU load.

Can someone confirm this or has a solution?

Not a solution, I’m afraid, but can you confirm that your Windows build setting is for 64-bit, not 32?

And that you’re using the appropriate Remote Desktop Debugger for that build setting.

Yes, 64-bit. It works from an Intel Mac.

Remote Debugger Console version 2.5.055, Desktop version 2.5.0.37. Both comes with Xojo 2021r.3.1.
Works w/o problems when running the debug build from an Intel Mac. But on ARM the IDE stalls with “Launching Application” message. On Windows I have to kill the Remote Debugger.
It’s the same behavior with Console or Desktop Remote Debugger.

I am having the same problem. Windows 11 on the Remote Desktop, Ventura on my Mac. The Windows machine is detected by Xojo and I can choose it, but when trying to run remotely, it always fails with “Failed to connect properly” and “Unable to initiate remote debug session”.

I can successfully remote debug under 2021r2.1 from Monterey on ARM to Win 10 or 11 on Intel. Maybe the problem is due to your remote being on a VM.

Can you ping to it (e.g. using the Terminal)?

I have success with 2022r2, ARM Mac, Windows 10 and 11 destination targets.

If someone were to ask me to wildly guess what the problem was, I’d start with Ventura.

1 Like

Not using any VM’s here…

I don’t have any good ideas, just adding a little info. 2023r1.1 on Ventura 13.4 ARM has no problem remote debugging to my physical Windows 11 machine. I don’t know the debugger stub version off the top of my head, but I believe it’s the latest.

To reiterate: My current M1 Max Mac is running Ventura, which has Xojo on it. Xojo can find the Remote Debugger instance running on my Windows 11 laptop, but Xojo cannot transmit the project to it.

Xojo can find the Remote Debugger instance running on my Windows 10 laptop, and successfully sends and launches the project on it.

I tried pinging the Windows 11 machine from my Ventura Mac, this is what I got:

Last login: Fri Jun 9 21:37:14 on console
johnmckernon@MacBook-Pro-M1 ~ % ping 192.168.1.172
PING 192.168.1.172 (192.168.1.172): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
… at which point I stopped it.

Another data point: I tried using an Intel Mac laptop that is running Catalina (10.15.7) and Xojo 2021 R2.1. I can launch Xojo and load my project, but when I try to set up debugging, it can’t auto-discover the Windows 11 machine. It does discover the Windows 10 machine.

So it sure sounds like it’s something in Windows 11.

That looks like a firewall issue on the Win11 machine to me. Being a VM, maybe the network interface isn’t in bridged mode?

The OP used a VM, John is not using VM.

I guess John could have created a new Post instead of using an old one.

Oh… yeah I didn’t notice the dates or that the posters are different.

1 Like

My bad… You’re not alone - I didn’t notice the original post was so old, either.

Windows networking is a mystery. On my network I have one Mac mini and two Win 10 computers. It happens that one Win 10 computer does not find the other one :open_mouth:.

Win 11 is a nightmare in progress, MIcrosoft is doing a bad job: they break what works, and then can’t repair. Maybe Microsoft cut too many employees.