Reload source from disk - text format

I’m very productively managing code outside the xojo GUI but then I have to close my project and open again to get it to load.

Is there an obvious way I’m missing that allows these externally changed files to be recognized without the time-suck of closing and reopening - it’s such a big project at this time that it’s killing me!

Shorter answer: Not currently.

Long answer: Not currently, yet, but maybe one day. It’s something that has to be done.

well crap!

thanks for confirming

If you are using AI, XMCP (links are here in the forum somewhere) has tools to reload a project from disk. My system prompt says to close without saving and re-open the project in the IDE. I still have to wait for it to happen, but Codex does it for me.

The MCP server works nicely. But the IPC socket now and then disappears. Not even reviewed after 4 weeks:

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/work_items/81758

IDE Communicator Unix socket disappears for approximately three seconds after each request

I hope this will make our work with AI and Xojo much easier:

AI coding tool support
Allows for Xojo projects to be edited directly by AI coding tools while open in the IDE.

In the meantime, I only ever work on one specific part of my project at a time.
After making changes, I delete the relevant elements (classes, windows, etc.) and drag them back into the project. That way, at least, you don’t always have to close the whole project and open it again.

“Revert to saved” is much simpler to use when the MCP server has a hiccup again.

sorry for my ignorance - what is the MCP server?

MCP (Model Context Protocol) is an open standard created to help AI systems connect securely with external data and tools. An MCP server is either a web- or cli-based app that basically sits between an AI and something else. You can connect Claude or Codex to any MCP server and the AI then has access to whatever the server provides.

Instead of having to copy-and-paste the errors back to ChatGPT it now has access to the errors and can fix them. ChatGPT has instructions to do an analyse item for 3 classes or less and analyse project for more than 3 classes. The MCP server is a big improvement for development.