Redoing Examples...

Rehearsing my presentation shows me I need to completely redo the examples as they are far too complex and diluting the points I want to make.

Not a disaster, but it does change how my presentation is going to go…

Oops!

You will get there. I am sure it will be great.

After my 3rd run through it became really apparent I was just trying to be too clever and there is an easier way to get the message out there.

Simplify people :wink:

Keep it simple :slight_smile:

Easier said than done. Sometimes we start complex and it takes some maturation to optimize.

From giving webinars and demos in the past, I’ve found that when I use overly complicated examples, I’m more likely to end up getting lost in the weeds. The presentations end up running longer, the audience gets lost… It just becomes a nightmare. The trick, I think, is to use basic examples that an audience can relate to, regardless of what they’re background or focus is. (Of course, that’s easier said than done.)

On a related note, @Hal Gumbert and I are going to present our sessions to each other tomorrow, to get some early feedback, and to get a sense of how long the sessions are in their current form. I’m wondering if other presenters might want to pair up and do the same thing?

Also, @Patrick Delaney, I think we’re both giving API-related sessions. Maybe we should chat at some point to see where our sessions overlap, and find ways to make our sessions complement and supplement each other?

I tend to do three of four dry runs before I do it front of another person. In my case I’ll get the staff together to pick it apart.

It’s amazing what sounds good in your mind and completely fails when you say it out loud.

That’s exactly what happened - everything felt great until first rehearsal. Then - oh dear - blatentently obvious a rethink is in order.

Great idea - let me get my thoughts together and I’ll PM you…

[quote=286048:@Bob Keeney]I tend to do three of four dry runs before I do it front of another person. In my case I’ll get the staff together to pick it apart.

It’s amazing what sounds good in your mind and completely fails when you say it out loud.[/quote]
Thats where I liked my presentation in Germany
2 slides
99.9% of it was me talking :slight_smile: