Rearrange Icons?

Hi,
Is it possible to rearrange the positions for icons such as RUN, BUILD, FEEDBACK, LIBRARY etc?

Instead of having some on the left, some in the middle, and some on the right - is it possible to have them all left aligned?

Thanks.

No. At least for now you can’t.

Giant tool bar with hardly anything it that cannot be changed or resized. A waste of space.

I know there will be a lot of updates to the toolbar. there has been several RFEs to it already in the system.

Hope they make the option “Text only” available as I don’t want the icons in the toolbar at all :wink:

I wonder how long it will take before these feature requests are added… :wink:

I second this.

for my laptop on the go, I have a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 and would LOVE to have a text only toolbar :slight_smile:

Vertical space is definitely at a premium and Xojo definitely seems to waste it. Plenty of folks have complained about it already.

I really miss the old toolbars. For the main one I miss the stop icon, which I used surprisingly often. Like Richard I really don’t care for the current alignment either. And I miss the customization options for the secondary toolbar. I had my most frequently used “Add” buttons there for the code editor. I never used the keyboard for that. There are short cuts for the most frequently used items, but having to go to the menu or the insert button for the rest is a step backwards.

This is compounded by the fact that we now have to insert event handlers. I LOVED being able to click a control to see the available events, especially with 3rd party controls. I wish there was an option to just display them all.

Nothing stopping you from adding ALL events to your control. The problem is you have to do it for every instance.

The flip side is can you imagine trying to find stuff in the Navigator if EVERY possible event was in every control? The Navigator is hard enough to use as it is…

[quote=10644:@Bob Keeney]Nothing stopping you from adding ALL events to your control. The problem is you have to do it for every instance.

[/quote]

The problem is those events will be built into the executable whereas in RS empty events are not.

Sure, I never said it was perfect. :slight_smile:

I’m going to be harsh here: the Navigator is a poor solution to an imaginary problem (tab management), and I wish they had never developed it. It seems nice until your project has more then about a dozen items. Then it’s a nightmare.

On top of that it’s flaky in this release. I keep seeing duplicate item listings, partial highlighting, and I swear when I switch tabs and come back the Navigator is never, ever in the state I left it or want it (items open/displayed; scroll position; etc).

I’m working with Xojo today and keeping a list of issues I run into. At the moment half of that list is related to the Navigator. I keep having moments where I look at the screen and say out loud “where the heck am I” or “where the heck is the item I want”. I never, ever had that feeling in RB. These are current projects I’m intimately familiar with.

I have nothing nice to say about the Navigator or the paradigm it imposes on the whole UI.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the old IDE wouldn’t include code for an event if the event was empty (i.e. no text) in the editor.

If we add an event and then decide to use a different event, do we really have to delete the first event to insure useless code isn’t included? That’s great considering deleting anything screws up the Navigator for me :frowning:

There is a stop button/icon, but it’s in the secondary toolbar - a black circle - and only when an app is running. Yeah, doesn’t make sense (being in a different toolbar, and a black circle), but that’s what it is currently.

I don’t know about him, but I’m sure. While it’s true that the old IDE had such a hack, the new one does not and treats adding an event handler as, well, adding an event handler.

[quote=10669:@Daniel Taylor]I’m going to be harsh here: the Navigator is a poor solution to an imaginary problem (tab management), and I wish they had never developed it. It seems nice until your project has more then about a dozen items. Then it’s a nightmare.

On top of that it’s flaky in this release. I keep seeing duplicate item listings, partial highlighting, and I swear when I switch tabs and come back the Navigator is never, ever in the state I left it or want it (items open/displayed; scroll position; etc).

I’m working with Xojo today and keeping a list of issues I run into. At the moment half of that list is related to the Navigator. I keep having moments where I look at the screen and say out loud “where the heck am I” or “where the heck is the item I want”. I never, ever had that feeling in RB. These are current projects I’m intimately familiar with.

I have nothing nice to say about the Navigator or the paradigm it imposes on the whole UI.[/quote]

I happen to agree with you, btw, on many of these subjects. I suggest starting a new thread on this one to get more focused feedback.

I will at some point today or tomorrow.

I don’t want to come off as too negative, especially after all the hard work the Xojo team put into this. Overall Xojo seems solid and fairly well polished. Most of the non Nagivator issues I’m running into seem to be small items that slipped through the beta, items that will likely be easy fixes for r2.

But that Navigator…

It’s called the five stages of grief. I went through it too. :slight_smile:

See <https://xojo.com/issue/26972>