Real Studio 2011 and Sierra

Client sent an old project over and I want to install and run in the original version which happens to be Real Studio 2011 R4.3 However, Sierra complains and I can’t even start the app. Even if I right-click on it and say open it gives me this error.

Is there a workaround for the stupid code signing restriction in Sierra?

I tried code signing it with my own certificate and it still rejects it. Not I’m really confused as to what’s going on.

Run 10.11 in a VM?

I already did that.

I don’t think it’s a security warning.

Perhaps Windows 7 in a vm?

Do you have a machine that can have an older version of the OS installed? That would be what I would do for the moment. Check the log, most of the time people get these errors, the OS doesn’t explain why, but maybe theres a hint in the console as to why it’s rejecting this application outright.

Or you could try using App Wrapper to sign it yourself, will take a while as RS/Xojo is a big application.

I actually tried that and I got the same error. So I’m suspecting that it’s not (entirely) signing related.

I’ll try Wayne’s suggestion of installing it in a Windows VM. The Mac VM’s I have are an exercise in patience they’re so slow.

Did you check the system log to see if it offers a clue?

Oct 25 22:56:22 Bobs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000016.Real Studio 2011[19373]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by CoreServicesUIAgent[659]
Oct 25 22:58:07 Bobs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000017.Real Studio 2011[19382]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by CoreServicesUIAgent[659]

Does this help you?

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/

[quote=294818:@Bob Keeney]Oct 25 22:56:22 Bobs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000016.Real Studio 2011[19373]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by CoreServicesUIAgent[659]
Oct 25 22:58:07 Bobs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000017.Real Studio 2011[19382]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by CoreServicesUIAgent[659][/quote]
Sadly that’s as helpful as a banana in a Typhoon.

Ruh roh!

Maybe it has a way to detect that the app is 5 years old and kills it for that reason, no fool, only the latest software damnit!

You could try using the ‘enable apps from anywhere’ option as above, in combination with unsetting the ‘signed’ part, so MacOS thinks its an unsigned app, rather than a signed one where not all the parts match up.

Edit the plist like this should do that…

<key>CFBundleSignature</key> <string>????</string>

I’ve got this message once in a while, with old apps having an old or no certificate.
right clic - open does not solve it
you must enable all apps in the security pane of the system preferences
then right-clic open the app it should open.
then you can reset the securities at where they were before.

In Sierra there is no “All Apps” option anymore.

See the link I posted above. It can be done on the command line.

Can it be that it has to do with this?
OS X Installers Downloaded Prior to February 14 No Longer Work After Certificate Update

oups … my trick worked in 10.11 !

[quote=294846:@Paul Sondervan]Can it be that it has to do with this?
OS X Installers Downloaded Prior to February 14 No Longer Work After Certificate Update[/quote]
yes i(s one of the reasons.
I also used to correct these errors by changing the date of the mac to one year before, launch the app (or installer)
then go back to the right date. but this did not work in 10.11 I had to change the security to “all apps”.

[quote=294846:@Paul Sondervan]Can it be that it has to do with this?
OS X Installers Downloaded Prior to February 14 No Longer Work After Certificate Update[/quote]
Yeah, I forgot about that. Apple did let at least one of it’s code signing certificates expire, caused some people a lot of trouble.