Read Only Project Files

I’m trying to implement some source code control in my Xojo projects as I have a distributed development team. (I’m struggling to find a source code control application that allows me to exclusively check a file out of a central repository, but that’s another conversation)

But:
I’ve saved my Xojo project as “Xojo Project” i.e each Xojo project item is in a separate text file. But, if the project file is then marked as read only, I can still load the file in Xojo and edit it. If I click Save, I do not receive any warning that the file is read only and the changes are not saved to the Xojo file. So it appears that the save has been successful when in fact I’ve lost my changes.

Am I missing something? Is there any other way of locking a file in Xojo?

Comments welcome.

Gosh, I haven’t used a source control system that locked checked out files since the 90s. I think they’ve fallen out of fashion these days.

Using OS X, I just tried marking an individual file in the project as “locked”. If I then open the project in Xojo, modify the project item and try to save then I get a “cannot save” error. If I locked the project file itself, then when I open it in Xojo I am unable to modify anything in the project.

[quote=219394:@Jim Brock]I’m trying to implement some source code control in my Xojo projects as I have a distributed development team. (I’m struggling to find a source code control application that allows me to exclusively check a file out of a central repository, but that’s another conversation)

But:
I’ve saved my Xojo project as “Xojo Project” i.e each Xojo project item is in a separate text file. But, if the project file is then marked as read only, I can still load the file in Xojo and edit it. If I click Save, I do not receive any warning that the file is read only and the changes are not saved to the Xojo file. So it appears that the save has been successful when in fact I’ve lost my changes.

Am I missing something? Is there any other way of locking a file in Xojo?

Comments welcome.[/quote]

Dont try and work this way. It WILL drive you and your team nuts.
Been there done that and it IS hell if two people NEED to alter the same file, but different portions, at the same time.

Use SVN or Git or something that lets you all have local working copies that you can merge & update

Interesting responses. I’ve always worked with the “Check out” approach in large teams, mainly because that’s how microsoft visual source safe worked. Never had a problem with it. The “Merge” approach sounds like chaos. But, I’m open minded so I’ll dive in.

@Paul Lefebvre, I’m running on Win7 so you might want to repeat your test on Windows and see what happens (although it’s a bit academic if I’m using the “merge” approach)

Thanks for your responses.

I’ve worked with both styles
Had way more locking issues with the lock and check out style than with merging