RBGUIframework.dll

I can only speak for myself, but I would never consider switching based on this situation. It surely has to be something minor, but we just can’t see it yet. I think the path to follow is not to just switch types of controls, but to dig deeper and see exactly what is causing the problem. It may be something removed from the control itself. Easy to say, but hard to do. I’ve supported Windows apps using RS and Xojo for many years and problems like these come up periodically. If it was easy, everyone would do it!

[quote=42091:@Rick Yerex]thanks for posting this Steve.

I have tried so many different “things” including alternate “work-arounds” to no avail. As I’ve posted (somewhere), this problem may cause me to discontinue developing in RB (XoJo) and go back to using MS Access & VBA. That saddens me as I had high hopes for this app to be created in some other platform than MS Access, not to mention the considerable number of hours I have invested in it so far (it is almost ready to go live).[/quote]

Your best bet is to submit a feedback report with the source code attached to it privately so someone on the engineering staff can see whats up.
All code submitted is treated as being under NDA but if you don’t want just anyone seeing it make sure the report is marked as private

[quote=42099:@Norman Palardy]Your best bet is to submit a feedback report with the source code attached to it privately so someone on the engineering staff can see whats up.
All code submitted is treated as being under NDA but if you don’t want just anyone seeing it make sure the report is marked as private[/quote]

Norman, this has been addressed. I would be happy to provide source code IF … those in engineering are prepared to duplicate my MySQL backend… ??? (without that, the application would never run)

Unfortunately, our schedule for rollout is Jan 1, 2014. I have been working on this application now for almost 1 year steadily. A lot of this time has been spent learning RB (XoJo) as I go. I certainly don’t want to “start over”; however, considering my knowledge and experience with VBA and MSAccess, if I were to start over now, I could still meet the deadline.

I agree, it is possibly something minor but the issue facing me now is … how much longer do I spend on a “wild goose chase” ?

Does it just require a particular schema or the data as well ?
Setting up a mysql db isn’t hard if absolutely required.

The choice really is yours

[quote=42137:@Norman Palardy]Does it just require a particular schema or the data as well ?
Setting up a mysql db isn’t hard if absolutely required.

The choice really is yours[/quote]

It would also require some of the data as the data is used to populate various ComboBoxes.
It is also dependant on a server data store as well as a local machine data store. In other words, MySQL would have to be configured in both places. That said, I suppose I could produce a sample with only a local MySQL connection.

All Ill say is that there are VERY few bugs being reported that even remotely look like this so I’m particularly curious

I just edited the Feedback case submitted by Rick. <https://xojo.com/issue/30103>
I included a small project that will reproduce a crash involving the rbguiframework.dll. The project contains two listboxes. Drag and drop a row from one to the other and BOOM! It happens for me under Windows XP every time. Don’t know about other flavors of Windows because I don’t own them.

[quote=42186:@Steve Albin]I just edited the Feedback case submitted by Rick. <https://xojo.com/issue/30103>
I included a small project that will reproduce a crash involving the rbguiframework.dll. The project contains two listboxes. Drag and drop a row from one to the other and BOOM! It happens for me under Windows XP every time. Don’t know about other flavors of Windows because I don’t own them.[/quote]

Thank you Steve!

I hope we can find what’s causing this, and soon!

[quote=42229:@Rick Yerex]Thank you Steve!

I hope we can find what’s causing this, and soon![/quote]

I agree, but I found my solution already. Don’t do the stupid thing that was causing the problem. I stipulate that the app shouldn’t crash just because I do the stupid thing, but even if it doesn’t crash, it may throw an exception and I don’t want that either. In my case, I was doing a drag and drop incorrectly because I didn’t understand all the events. Like you, my app is too complex to upload along with the data, but the data and the remainder of the app have nothing to do with the problem. I created an app that just had the two listboxes involved and dummied out all the database interfaces, leaving the drag and drop between listboxes. Then I had something easy to work and experiment with in order to create a reproducible crash. Once I had that, finding a solution was much easier.

In your case, the crash is occuring as you are switching between windows, no? Just recreate an app that does ONLY that using the mechanism you are using to switch. You don’t need the database as that is not causing the problem.

Now this is weird but it seems to work.

On my main form, I have 5 PushButtons.

Work
Programs
Contacts
Electoral
EAC

Each were activated with an Alt-Key as follows:

WorkBC - Alt W
Programs - Alt P
Contacts - Alt C
Electoral - Alt E
EAC - Alt A

I had no crashing from the RBGUIframework on Contacts, Electoral, or EAC but at intermittent times, both Work and Programs would crash the app.

I tried changing to Alt O on WorkBC … still crashed.
I then tried Alt B … no more crash on that button. Programs still crashed so I tried Alt O on Programs …. No more crash.

After numerous attempts to get the app to crash, now using Alt B, Alt O, and the other three … going back and forth between windows, flipping in and out on the same one’s several times and even hitting some wrong keys …. No crashing.

I don’t get it. What’s the significance of Alt W (for example) as compared to Alt B?

I sure hope I’m not speaking too soon!