RBGUIframework.dll

This dll is repeatedly causing my app to crash .

What’s causing this? How can I fix it?

Whats the error ?
That’s part of the runtime so you really can’t do without it

I get the “Windows can check online for a solution” box.

In the details it lists the following:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DebugKBIS2012.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 50be1953
Fault Module Name: RBGUIFramework.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 50be1933
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0012e609
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Ah
That doesn’t mean that’s causing the crash - but thats where the crash is occurring
Have you run your app just in the debugger on Windows ?
It should fail in the same way and give you some idea whats up

I have the same problem on our windows

Faulting application app1.exe, version 2.0.0.35, time stamp 0x50d4fc8b, faulting module RBConsoleFramework.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x50d4fbe1, exception code 0xc00000fd, fault offset 0x00012f52, process id 0xa34, application start time 0x01cec35d5713e6e0.

Faulting module can also be unknown.

Unable to replicate the problem running the app in debug mode.

Norman, yes it fails during debug but I get the same error and nothing further indicates what the cause is. In fact, the info I posted above was during debug.

Some info leading up to the crash…

I have an app that involves several windows. Each window is opened using a PushButton with the simple code of .Show
Each button can be activated using Alt + a letter such as Alt + P for Programs. This is accomplished by using the Caption of &Programs

After opening and closing a few different windows alternating between the mouse and the Alt key method, all of a sudden the program crashes with the error above … only seems to happen when using the Alt key method.

Rick, are you by chance using any threads? Testing on a CPU (real or virutal) that has 1 core?

I’m not familiar enough about RB to use Threads or for that matter, even know what they are.

Think I solved the problem. What appeared to be happening is the Alt-P (for Programs window) which was on the main window was getting lost after a few openings. This appeared to be due to me not ensuring that the main window was getting the focus after closing the Programs window , if that makes any sense. Anyway, I added code to set the focus to the main window once the Programs window closed and I haven’t been able to re-create the error so far.

Well, I THOUGHT I’d solved it but NO, it’s still crashing.

HELP somebody puhleeze. I am almost to rollout on this project that I’ve been working on for over a year and if I can’t resolve this problem, it will be a major disaster!

I’ve even tested my app in the latest XoJo version and the same problem occurs.

Create a feedback case
Attach your project source code privately
There’s not a lot anyone can realistically do without being able to see this in action or being able to attach a low level debugger to it

And if this is impossible due to things like NDAs, an executable built with 2013r3.1 with steps to reproduce.

This system uses a MySQL backend database. Impossible to provide a copy of the project. For one thing, It’s an in-house application. Secondly, the data is confidential.

Is there any other way to utilize the Alt key to activate (load) different windows other than a PushButton with the Caption being &Programs (which would allow Alt+P) for example?

You could have a Timer that checks Keyboard.AsyncAltKey and Keyboard.AsyncKeyDown.

[quote=39372:@Norman Palardy]Create a feedback case
Attach your project source code privately
There’s not a lot anyone can realistically do without being able to see this in action or being able to attach a low level debugger to it[/quote]

As a test, how about creating a Desktop app with say 5 windows. A main window with 4 PushButtons, each activating one of the other windows. Each of those windows has an “Exit” button. Set the PushButtons to utilize Alt keys including the Exit button.

From the main window, successively activate/close the other windows, alternating back and forth between them.

I haven’t yet done the above but I intend to in a few minutes.

I can do this on my App appx a dozen times an then it will crash and it doesn’t matter which PushButton I am activating.

I will try that and advise. Thanks

OK, tried that … put it in the Keydown event of the Window … doesn’t work

Tried it in a timer … doesn’t work

In fact, neither the Keydown event or the timer are catching the Alt key.

Code in Keydown event

if key="p" then
    msgbox "letter P pressed"
  end if

if key="p" and keyboard.AsyncAltKey then
    msgbox "Alt P pressed"
  end if

It catches the letter “p” no problem but doesn’t even fire the event if I use the Alt P

I did this in a new project with just one window to test.

Tried it in the Keyup event as well.

This code in the Action event handler of a Timer with a period of 100ms seems to work for me (on both OS X and Windows):

If Keyboard.AsyncAltKey Then If Keyboard.AsyncKeyDown(&h23) Then MsgBox("Alt-P pressed") End If End If

[quote=39428:@Paul Lefebvre] If Keyboard.AsyncAltKey Then
If Keyboard.AsyncKeyDown(&h23) Then
MsgBox(“Alt-P pressed”)
End If
End If[/quote]

yup, that works … but I didn’t realize I needed the &h

Problem is, with a timer, the pressing of a key has to be at the same time as the timer is firing and if a user holds the key down too long, at 100 it will process whatever the code is several times. For example, that code will produce several message boxes if I hold the keys just a bit too long. If I change the timer’s period to say… 500, a user could miss, get ticked off, hold Alt-P or hit it several times and thus cause multiple code execution.

hmmmmmm… there’s got to be a way here :wink: