Raspberry Pi Zero W

A new version of Raspberry Pi Zero with Wi-Fi has just been released:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family/

Unfortunately, from what I read it seems to have the same CPU as the previous version, so no fun with Xojo :frowning:

Armv6, not compatible with xojo…:frowning:

Still a sweet device(computer)!
The biggest drawback for Zero has always been the lack of built in wifi, so…
It has built in Bluetooth too, along with wifi, I think?

Bought one in case I need it for something, There’s much more than Xojo out there to be used with Zero W :wink:

For what it is worth …
There is an Orange Pi Zero that does have the correct Arm processor for Xojo and WiFi (no Bluetooth).

You can get it from Ali Express (China) http://login.aliexpress.com with shipping under $11.

I am with Mark on this one, I would take almost any low cost similar priced option rather than Raspberry PI Zero. Orange Pi Zero, Orange Pi One, Nano Pi Neo Air, hell I would take Chip (even if I hate the Chips but at least their Armv7 compatible). And of course Raspberry PI both Zero and the other ones underperform if you think of it as flops per dollar compared to just about anything else you can get.

Since we’re discussing RPi hardware, I have a question. Did they ever fix the SD card corruption problem that plagued the early Pi versions? I bought one of the early models a few years ago. About every fourth or fifth boot, it would hang because the SD was corrupted, and then I’d have to restore from a backup. No one on the RPi design team on the official RPi forum would ever acknowledge there was a problem, and I gave up in disgust.

Maybe I’ll check out the Orange Pi.

I had a 256mb raspi b that ran an asterisk setup and our home phone line with 3 sip phones and a sip trunk for 2 years or so. I think I rebooted maybe once in that time. Never had a problem with it running on a cheap 4GB SD card. I believe there were some tweaks to the firmware and boot settings that alleviated much of the early issues with sd cards, however not all cards are created equal.

I had a PNY card running in a raspberry pi 3 that quit writing after about 6 months doing basic webserver duty. I stick with the samsung cards now.

I always used SanDisk and similar namebrand SD cards, but it made no difference. The RPi corrupted them all.

The biggest problem in my opinion was that since the designers refused to admit that there was a bug, they couldn’t come back later and announce that the “nonexistent” bug was fixed, without admitting that there had been a bug all along. As a result of that, no one ever found out whether they traced down the cause of the bug and whether they ever fixed it. And so, they lost my trust, and a lot of other people’s trust. It will take a lot of convincing before I ever consider buying another RPi.

[quote=318487:@Robert Weaver]Since we’re discussing RPi hardware, I have a question. Did they ever fix the SD card corruption problem that plagued the early Pi versions? I bought one of the early models a few years ago. About every fourth or fifth boot, it would hang because the SD was corrupted, and then I’d have to restore from a backup. No one on the RPi design team on the official RPi forum would ever acknowledge there was a problem, and I gave up in disgust.

Maybe I’ll check out the Orange Pi.[/quote]

It was usually the SD card slot that caused it. The slot on the first models was very sensitive, to card thickness, to slightest move, etc. Raspberry PI 2 slots where fine, I got quite a lot of those and never had issues. Then they changed the slot again on Raspberry PI 3, I have not had issue with it though I don’t use the PI 3 a lot.

Question… I looked into the Orange Pi Zero on Ali Express.
I see several processor versions: H3 and H5. Both ARM. How do I know if it is Xojo compatible? (before I order and wait for the long shipping time)

I see that the Orange Pi Zero 2 has both WiFi AND Bluetooth. That sounds awesome.
Trying to use it for Narrow Casting / Digital Signage. So, smaller is better :slight_smile:
(Any alternatives and suggestions are very welcome :wink: )

ARMv7 or higher is required if I’m not mistaken?
Correct me if I’m wrong!

[quote=380200:@Edwin van den Akker]
I see that the Orange Pi Zero 2 has both WiFi AND Bluetooth. That sounds awesome.
Trying to use it for Narrow Casting / Digital Signage. So, smaller is better :slight_smile:
(Any alternatives and suggestions are very welcome :wink: )[/quote]

Read this https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/375390 (i got a one of that Banana Pi Zero but no time to test, perhaps try it tomorrow and tell something)

I looked at the conversation. I have been there before since I noticed I liked a couple of messages and mainly I started that conversation (What am I doing here in this one? :wink: )
I looked at a local webshop, that offers the Banana Pi Zero. Looks promising: It has the ARM Cortex-A7 H2+ Quad on board :smiley: