RASPBERRY PI ZERO: THE $5 COMPUTER

I am still waiting for the C.H.I.P as well but I fear it will be to late, the C.H.I.P is more or less out dated before it comes out. A whole lot has changed during all this time we have waited.

But they are shipping: chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

if you want one today, you can only pre-order … no idea of the delay once you order
that’s how most kickstarter are, and among the most serious ones. other get your money and disappear…

Sorry for you Jean-Yves, I’m ‘backing’ my 4th project and have only positive experiences!

I dont know what your 4 projects were about, happy for you
but in the domain of “small computers on a board” I’ve seen all of them been late, very very late, or more !
I was also interested in the scio, no delay, all backers are claiming,
they send one item from time to time somehow to say “hey look we can send one !”
I hope they will one day be in real business, but it is the way it works.

note that in the last century, big companies also made product announcements, and then you could wait well … “some time” to get your product, if ever you can get it. it’s not something that is only for kickstarter !

Aaand it’s here! See if I get some time to play with it some day soon :slight_smile:

Mine is stuck in customs ! And they don’t understand that all the papers I got for it are dated 2015 ! So not sure what will happen.

Its tested now ! Xojo applications run just fine on chip as well as pocket chip.

I got no clue how to do GPIO for them though at the moment. I don’t know if I will even try as I am not sure the CHIP platform offers anything Price / VS features any more that is not already superior in Orange PI. Maybe I will see the light somewhere and change my view on that. (I did manage to run Xojo application on Battery so thats maybe something new other the other boards)

The HDMI DIP has severe issues it constantly blacks screens and then comes back after 2-3 seconds. (It does this when I am doing some work and not idling)

The CHIP without the DIP seems to be stable, I compiled very large Einhugur plugin on it to test, were no temperature issues or anything.

My 5 CHIPs are still stuck in Hong Kong for about 2 weeks. Hope to be able to get it soon.

Just received my CHIPs and for the start, I’ve compiled and installed the quintessential Eddie’s Electronics web and it is running pretty smoothing. It’s pretty fast and snappy.

So, Xojo does not support Raspberry Pi Zero, but it does support this CHIP thing?
Any chance Xojo will be adding support for the Zero in the nearish future?

Zero chance
Basically the requirement is the ARM instruction set being supported - ARMv7 (note many mistake this for the version of the chip but its the set that is relevant)
http://developer.xojo.com/raspberry-pi

FWIW we don’t officially “support” several of these BUT they are similar enough to what we DO support that they work
http://developer.xojo.com/system-requirements
Lists Raspbian Jessie & Wheezy

I think Xojo should not be blamed or pushed because of lack of ARMv6 support. It was really strange move that Raspberry did pushing out this board with this legacy chip when there were many other good and cheap options of ARMv7 chip. Almost as if they had to burn up old inventory of outdated chips ! Even if it was to be supported (which in my opinion would make little sense given how Joe explained it to me before) then it is a very poor chip performance wise also which also makes it a bad target)

I just ordered an Orange Pi Lite (complete with built in WiFi) from http://www.aliexpress.com in China (part of Alibaba) for $12 (board only) that will run Xojo. The board, a power brick, and case cost $5.60 for standard (slow) shipping to the USA.

There is a cheaper one with no Wifi but for $12 it seemed worth it.

Björn listed this model and others he has tested will run Xojo.

I too was frustrated that the Raspberry Pi Zero would not run Xojo and I had been exploring Python and other programming languages for the Zero but nothing seemed to fit for me. The Orange Pi Lite with WiFi is about the same price as a Rasberry Pi Zero and WiFi adaptor. Putting a stand alone Web App on the Orange Pi Lite makes a very cheap solution.

A bit of a follow-up on my 2015 post. I am using an ODROID-XU4 (Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) Octa Core Linux Computer) in a robotics project. XOJO runs fine on it. It’s relatively fast, too.

Cheers
Jim