RASPBERRY PI ZERO: THE $5 COMPUTER

Great to hear that Banana Pi; BPI-M3 Octa-Core runs XOJO Apps :slight_smile:

This is not a cheap piece of hardware but very interesting and powerful

Orange PI just put out a $9 board. It should run Xojo I think. (Although I have given up on Orange PI due to lack of Kernel and driver support from the maker then Armbian is close to supporting their CPU’s, once that is in place then I think Orange PI is going to be viable).

(Armbian restored my faith in the Banana PI’s which I had given up on, so I have faith that when they support the newer Orange PI CPUs then same thing will happen there)

Steam Link should work as well ( same chipset + H264 HW encoding ). Little Ram… anyone wanna try?

You mean the Orange Pi One? Have one on it’s way over here…in about a month :stuck_out_tongue:
It has a Cortex-A7(ARMv7-A). Might work but it only has 512mb RAM.

Xojo will definitly run on it,

I am waiting for one as well. What OS are you going to run on it ? I cant see any download images for the Pi one on their page. Armbian has a beta though somewhat for it.
The bad maker regarding software and OS support is what made me abandon Orange Pi completely back then. But Armbian has somewhat restored my faith in usability of Orange PI enough so that I ordered one of each type that I didnt have before. Armbian does not have official images yet though just some alphas/betas.

I have no idea. Have not looked at that yet. Any tips? :slight_smile:

Well I am wondering my self ! but mine has not arrived yet and probably will not arrive for another 2 weeks so I was trying to tap in on your plan to prepare my plan !.
(right now my plan is to hope that Armbian will have official release for it by the time mine arrives, if not then I am not sure what to do, beta maybe, though I think the betas are only console mode, or to try to see if it takes Orange PI Plus image from the Orange Pi web which probably is not good since all their images are almost useless but it might be able to let us see at least boot !!)

The info I’ve found seems to indicate console only. Might have to wait until they’ve fixed a proper version.
Seems a bit wierd that they have a device for sale that don’t have a proper OS to install :confused:

That is pretty much the case with Orange PI, over all they have very little skills in making the OS and Drivers (or devote not time to it). I have one Orange PI machine that is totally unusable, basically nothing works on it. But I think the hardware is actually good their using real SATA controllers not fake ones through USB 2 like the new Banana PI’s are doing. In later times software issues are pretty much same also on Banana PI as on Orange PI the company either has no skills at it or zero interest. But Armbian solved most of that for me at least on M2, and M3 is sort of ok as is from the maker.

Issue with Orange PI and getting Armbian on the newer models has been the CPU basically as far as I understand it. The H3 CPU. But they seem to be adding support for it, probably also since the new tiny Olimex that compeats with Raspberry PI Zero and Orange PI One machine uses H3 as well so its more makers now than just Orange PI, which I think helps pushing for Kernel support for it.

Well, here it is at least. Sittin’ next to the RPi Zero…waiting for a proper OS to be released :wink:

Check this thread here:

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/617-wip-support-for-the-upcoming-orange-pi-one/

Its out !!!

http://www.armbian.com/download/

Go grab it and run your new board !

(note after you install then you run some command to install the GUI if you wanted full GUI, you see it on their web page)

[quote=248316:@Björn Eiríksson]Its out !!!

http://www.armbian.com/download/

Go grab it and run your new board !

(note after you install then you run some command to install the GUI if you wanted full GUI, you see it on their web page)[/quote]
Great! I’ll check it out! Need to get a power supply tomorrow though. I thought I had one…but no :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

I only have Orange PI 2 to test the Armbian 5’s for Orange PI until next shipment arrives that is, but I can tell you everything is working so far except I cannot switch resolution and the machine is stable.

I asked the devs about the resolution and their apparently still working on that for the Orange PI’s.

I think the Orange PI’s just became very viable since their hardware specs are very high and their really cheap. Before this release then I had this Orange PI sitting gathering dust, it was not possible to use it for anything.

Sounds great Björn!
I have not found a power supply with the correct size on the dc plug for some reason…but I’m looking forward to try it out :slight_smile:

[quote=248429:@Albin Kiland]Sounds great Björn!
I have not found a power supply with the correct size on the dc plug for some reason…but I’m looking forward to try it out :)[/quote]
Can’t get it to boot :confused:

Downloaded this image: http://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/
Used this command to get it to the SD card: dd bs=1m if=filename.raw of=/dev/disk2

When I boot the ethernet LEDs turn on, then off and the red LED on the board is lit up. Then nothing happens.
I’m sure theres “dirt behind the keyboard” = me :stuck_out_tongue:

I use the tool that comes with the Armbian images to put it on the card, is some Suse tool, included with every image from them.

Another thing I thought of that might be what is troubling you, the display ! Orange PI’s normally dont work with any adaptors, you need to have pure HDMI cable to pure HDMI display, no HDMI adapter. And your display needs to be able to display whatever strange resolution they have set it to.

(It seems their solving in the Armbian forums ways to set the display resolution)

But I would advice if you don’t get picture on the screen then SSH into the comp, it comes set up with SSH.

Edit: I was able to get full HD resolution with the solution they post in post 174 at:

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/617-wip-orange-pi-one-support-for-the-upcoming-orange-pi-one/page-6

And they even hint that this solution can work with DVI adaptors too. (have not tried with adaptor)

I’m on a Mac and VirtualBox don’t see the SD card. I’ll find a windows thingy and use the armbian tool. Thanks.

The Pi Zero is now in stock at ThePiHut! You better be quick as they sell out VERY fast :slight_smile:
http://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero?variant=14062715972
(Remember it does not run Xojo apps…if that’s what you’re after…)