Raspberry Pi Interest

Hi, I am still working on Xojo 2015 3.1 and not been on the forum for a while or xojo.com. Seems I have missed a lot of action this year. I am very interested in doing some development on the R Pi. I currently work and develop on/for OSX and only have the Xojo OSX desktop license.

To work on Pi do I need to get the Linux desktop licence?
How do you test your apps? Do you have to build, install and run every time?

Are there some detailed docs/info for Xojo and Rasp Pi?

Thanks.

Check out the Getting Started With Raspberry Pi page at http://developer.xojo.com/raspberry-pi

You may want to purchase a Pi Console license for $49 or a Pi Desktop license for full GUI apps for $99.

I’m still blown away every time I compile a Xojo app for the Pi.

Correction, I meant Xojo 2015 Release 1. Thanks Gavin I’ll take a look at that

So there is no way of running your app without compiling an executable and therefore requiring to purchase a license even just for testing?

Remote debugger is not yet ready for llvm builds. They are working on it.

Thanks Bob, That will change things a bit then surely. If the remote debugger is available surely you don’t need the licence just to run in debug mode? Correct me if i’m wrong.

Can I also enquire, I see MS now do a version of Windows 10 for the Rasp PI2, does this mean we can build for windows and run on a Pi running Win10 os?

It’s not the “Windows” that you know and hate/love, it’s an “Internet of Things” version. It’s Windows without the windows! It’s fine but unless you have a specific need for it, you’re likely better off sticking with Raspbian.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot

No, just Linux on ARM.

Sorry, back to the above comment. When remote debugger for PI is available, does this mean an unlicensed version of Xojo will be able to run debug on PI just not Build? If so does this mean if I buy a licence today and remote debugger is released tomorrow I loose out if I’m only wanting to test an app and not build.

Shouldn’t that rather be “You need to purchase …”? It seems I cannot test it without one.

That gives me an idea:

While I can understand that a full-fledged debugger for the Pi (ARM) is not done as quickly as desired, why not simply build apps from the IDE with the Run command anyway, and that “debug” version of the built app uses a lib that just connects to the IDE the same way it’s done on other platforms, just without actually supporting any of the live debugging features (breakpoints, data inspection etc.). The advantages of this would be twofold:

1. We can use the more convenient “Run” command.
  2. We could test-run Pi apps without having to purchase a license first. That should also help interested users to try out Xojo for Pi who may so far shy away from it for having no way to try it out first.

Oh, I realize that also needs one more piece of work: A remote debugger stub for Arm. But since that appears to be written in Xojo, and since it only needs to be able to support the live connection, without actually supporting any debugging features yet, this can’t be such a hard task, either. The gain would be what I wrote above. Isn’t that something someone could tackle? Maybe even a Xojo-outsider (3rd party dev), because that developer would only need a stripped-down version of the Debugger Stub source, and make it work on Arm-Linux. Can’t be that hard.

Maybe it would, in place of not having the full debugger support yet, at least the ability to forward “system.debuglog” calls to the IDE via the network connection, making the whole edit-compile-run turnaround so much easier than it has to be now, as I imagine.

[quote=260299:@Thomas Tempelmann]Can’t be that hard.
[/quote]
Famous last words…

Are you making fun of me? Or could you at least try an explanation why I’m wrong and this is much harder, indeed?

[quote=260299:@Thomas Tempelmann]Can’t be that hard.
[/quote]
Its NOT the stub thats at issue here but the portion of code that gets built into the app being debugged.
I think Gregs intimating “Without you knowing how the debugger works how can you say such a thing ?”
And I would agree
It’s a lot harder than you’re guessing

This post does not contribute anything to the thread, but I thought it is appropriate here.

A quote from Douglas Hofstadter’s 1979 book Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid:

A quote from Tom Cargill, Bell Labs:

[quote]The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.
[/quote]

:wink:

[quote=260569:@Louis Desjardins]A quote from Douglas Hofstadter’s 1979 book Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid:

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.[/quote]

I thought it was from Leonard Hofstadter from the big bang theory … :wink:

Disclaimer: Any similarity with a fictional character is purely accidental.