Raspberry Pi and Xojo for a Science Project

My name is Praveen, i’am very new to Xojo, I’am helping my daughter with her 8th grade science project, we are planning to use the Raspberry Pi for her project to build a application.

Here is our thinking:

• Use the Raspberry Pi as the platform
    -Connect to a motion sensor camera to the Raspberry Pi
  • When you detect motion, capture Video or still pictures
    -Send the Video or still pictures to my daughter’s cell phone

Do you think this is possible using the Xojo platform ?
What version of the Raspberry Pi is needed ? Amazon has version 3 available
What type of motion sensor camera would be recommended ?

Again this is for 8th grade science project - so don’t want overly complicate it.

Anyone have suggestion or can help ?

Thanks
Praveen

Welcome!

You can use Xojo to make apps that run on the Raspberry Pi 2 or the Raspberry Pi 3.

It is certainly possible to connect a motion sensor and camera to the Pi. You’ll likely want to use the open-source GPIO library to access a motion sensor. The “raspicam” command-line tool can control a connected camera.

To send a picture you’ll likely want the Xojo app to upload it to a web service that a phone app can access to get the picture. You can also make the phone app using Xojo for iOS or Xojo for Web.

For more about Raspberry Pi, Xojo and some simple projects to get you started:
http://developer.xojo.com/raspberry-pi

Outstanding Paul - I really appreciate your support through this project.

First this first, I will place a order for Raspberry PI 3 on Amazon -

Secondly, do you have a recommendation for a motion camera with a sensor, that I should get ?

Any tips here is appreciated.

Thanks
Praveen

wow, when I was in eighth grade… a “volcano” exhibit was considered top-notch … :slight_smile:

I personally have not used these two things, but I can offer advice.

Einhugur also has some Xojo GPIO tutorials and they have one for an infrared sensor. That might be a good place to start: Xojo GPIO | Einhugur Tech Blog

For the camera, I’d probably go with the standard Pi camera that connects to the internal port: https://www.adafruit.com/products/3099

Yes, definitely go for the official Pi camera, as Paul says. It was updated in the last few months so you might as well try to get the most recent model for improved photos as it has a much better sensor.

Note that there are two versions - the regular version and the Pi-NoIR version which is the same camera but without the infra-red filter, which makes it more useful in dark situations.

Finally, for the motion sensor, go with the HR-SR501. You can get it from eBay for a few dollars (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HC-SR501-Small-PIR-Sensor-Module-Pyroelectric-Infrared-Body-Motion-Sensing-USA-/160745958603) or, if you prefer, pay a little more from places such as Adafruit.

I made a similar project with my six year old in a backyard, to watch for wildlife at night. Pretty exciting for the child (and me!) to review the footage the next day.