rar to zip conversion

I’m looking for a way to convert .rar archives into .zip through Xojo or through the Xojo shell class. Preferably on MacOS but any additional platform support would be appreciated too if anybody has any tips.

probably you could just decompress and compress via command line.

Or e.g. with archive classes in MBS Xojo Compression Plugin.

[quote=425940:@Christian Schmitz]probably you could just decompress and compress via command line.

Or e.g. with archive classes in MBS Xojo Compression Plugin.[/quote]

there is no directy conversion of .rar to .zip. but as @Christian Schmitz has suggested to uncompress the .rar then recompress it as a .zip will work. you can use shell class with cli tools OR you can use something like @Christian Schmitz ’s plugin to do it all within code. I use his archive class within some of my Xojo apps and it works well.

See also my open source projects RB-RAR (Windows only RAR extraction) and RB-zlib (x-plat zip creation)

No ‘simple’ command line I might feed to the shell to do it all in one step then? I guess I’ll be trying the ‘manual’ route of decompressing and recompressing, and I’ll look into your classes for cross platform support Andrew.
Thanks for the suggestions.

This might be worth a look.

https://theunarchiver.com/command-line
On macOS you can add it into the app bundle.
On Windows you’ll just have the extra binary helper next to your exe.
Run it from there using a shell.

Those look promising too, thank you for linking them Jason.

[quote=425999:@Jason Parsley]This might be worth a look.

https://theunarchiver.com/command-line
On macOS you can add it into the app bundle.
On Windows you’ll just have the extra binary helper next to your exe.
Run it from there using a shell.[/quote]

anywhere to find the command to use the command line??? what is the lsar for??

You can use the ‘-help’ command to get a brief explanation on how they work, or simply drop one of the items onto the terminal window and press enter to view the same manual.
Isar appears to be ‘a tool for listing the contents of archive files.’