Pros and cons of Xojo

[quote=53088:@Norman Palardy]Brads point is you have a job to get done & use it to get the job done - and that’s the only criteria that matters.
If it lets you do that jobs its a good tool for you.
If not it’s not.[/quote]

i don’t actually agree on that. As one buys xojo and expect it to “help” doing the job. So it’s not all about having to do it all yourself, then there is no point in buying a xojo license. You’d be better off with a gcc toolchain and some C++

Have you compared Xojo with other x-plat toolkits? IMHO, there is no comparison. Other kits may have already broken into iOS and Android, but they are so limited that I couldn’t use them for our business.

Xojo’s support and how they are constantly dealing with Apple’s changes is really impressive. How do I know? Xojo right now are dealing with the unexpected Quicktime ban that Apple silently applied last week, while I’m still seeing apps built with other tools that couldn’t be code signed (because the tool vendor can’t create proper OS X frameworks) or even sandboxed properly!

This alone made me grateful for the team behind Xojo.

Now if you compare Xojo to a single platform dev toolkit, you might be inclined to say that the single platform toolkit is better because it does x,y & z… That maybe, but another advantage of Xojo is their declare system, where you can tap into the OS functionality directly. Again I appreciate this as I can continue working in a language that I’m familiar with, but at the same time, I have access to the same great functionality as I did if I was using Apple’s own tools.

To put that into some scoring:
x-plat : 5 (other tools cover more platforms)
flexibility: 9 (other tools don’t come close, I would like to see the declare system opened up some more)
support: 10 (other vendors don’t care)

Bearing in mind that this is just my opinion, and is based upon my observations. I am not employed by Xojo, but would be happy to receive kickbacks :slight_smile:

Actually, there are three kinds of people:

A pessimist: the glass is half empty. An optimist: the glass is half full. An engineer: the wrong size of glass.

:slight_smile:

Beatrix: try to reload the web page when you want to edit your post (if it is still the last one ?).

This worked once for me.

I strongly dislike 20cl glass and I use 33cl glass since I was 14 y/o or so (46 years ago). It generally fit my needs; however if it is not the case, I can take another one who will largely be enough.

BTW: can we go back to the op question who is summarized in the title:

Pros and cons of Xojo.

One BIG pro vs other IDEs: the time to start to code your first project (application). If you do not understand and you do not know Eclipse or NetBean, eventually X-code… go ahead and check with a clock how many times does it takes (for you) to start writing code once the IDE is launched.

Xojo:
Where goes the cursor after a run in the IDE ?

I wish those pro’s and con’s would not show up so much, because it is as black and white.

I am a very loyal user to RealBasic - RealStudio _ Xojo since version 5.2. Overtime there where some bugs, I encountered, some more severe than others. However that never stopped me to get the job done with Xojo. At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

As other members already have said, the team behind Xojo is great! And I mean it. They obviously do care about their users. Support is great, fast and knowledgeable.

Many people already make a living with Xojo, and I mean Xojo. Personally, I turn regularly to Bob Keeney his website to view his tutorials. Also the webinars of Paul Lefevre, our Xojo Evangelist, are great and you can watch them every time you want when you are in a time zone which prevents you from seeing them life. Also the books which come with Xojo are a great reference. And last but not the least, those books of Eugene Dakin are very good and clearly written.

Also this forum helps solving your problems. There is always a clever someone who has a solution or a workaround. The fact that it sometimes takes long to fix a particular bug is because Xojo is a very small team. But we cannot blame them for that. By the way, the main applications I use are from very small companies but standing out the crowd by their features and quality. To mention some of them; Axialis, Serif, Xojo, IObit, RagTime GMBH, BlueBerry, FastStone, Topstyle and some others.

As a developer, we live in a very colorfull world. Mostly our job starts where most computer users ends. And despite the changes in Xojo, you still can work fast. Important is to organise your navigator which will prevent you from being lost and plan and structure your application in advance. The more planning you do, the easier your coding, the less bugs your application contain.

I wish those moaning post should stop because they harm Xojo in a very unfair way. I also encounter bugs which sometimes are frustrating, but I prefer to spend my time to workaround them or find solutions. That is much more productive than moaning about it.

I hope this kind of subjects will end soon because they are not contributing anything positive to application development.

When you based on threads like these, doubt Xojo I can give you only one free advice : just install the free version, use the resources at hand which are plenty and find out for yourself if Xojo works for you or not.

At least it works out for me fine.

…[quote=53131:@Michel Bujardet]Oliver, you will soon discover that the world is composed of two kinds of people [/quote]

If I remember my computer science classes back in the '70s the quote read: “There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.”

The IDE already does provide a LOT of help.
You have no idea how much code it actually takes to create & implement the layouts you draw in the IDE via drag & drop.
And that’s a good thing.

Having seen the underlying code I’m glad I don’t have to write all this in anything like gcc & it’s toolchains - and the replicate that in VS for Windows, Xcode and make it support XP to 8.1, Ubuntu and all assorted distros & 10.6 and up.

But if you still think writing a cross platform app with UI in gcc/VS/Xcode would be faster / easier / etc be my guest :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=53126:@Dave S]Ah… “the naivety of the youth”… :slight_smile: were that I was so young again… a time when I knew everything and the world was my oyster :slight_smile:

Now when I was a mere lad of 15, computers barely existed (discounting the 40 ton behemoths of course)… But near and about my mid 20’s personal computers where being to also come of age. And I too have been working on the next greatest software developement system ever since :D. The plus side… is I now have the appropriate knowledge to do so…

Be interesting to see what our young Mr.Scott-Brown comes up… or if he soon discovers that the task at hand may just exceed his current level of experience .[/quote]
I am not arrogant and I do not have a lack of experience to carry out the tasks which I am wanting to achieve.

[quote=53217:@Chris Verberne]I wish those pro’s and con’s would not show up so much, because it is as black and white.

I am a very loyal user to RealBasic - RealStudio _ Xojo since version 5.2. Overtime there where some bugs, I encountered, some more severe than others. However that never stopped me to get the job done with Xojo. At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

As other members already have said, the team behind Xojo is great! And I mean it. They obviously do care about their users. Support is great, fast and knowledgeable.

Many people already make a living with Xojo, and I mean Xojo. Personally, I turn regularly to Bob Keeney his website to view his tutorials. Also the webinars of Paul Lefevre, our Xojo Evangelist, are great and you can watch them every time you want when you are in a time zone which prevents you from seeing them life. Also the books which come with Xojo are a great reference. And last but not the least, those books of Eugene Dakin are very good and clearly written.

Also this forum helps solving your problems. There is always a clever someone who has a solution or a workaround. The fact that it sometimes takes long to fix a particular bug is because Xojo is a very small team. But we cannot blame them for that. By the way, the main applications I use are from very small companies but standing out the crowd by their features and quality. To mention some of them; Axialis, Serif, Xojo, IObit, RagTime GMBH, BlueBerry, FastStone, Topstyle and some others.

As a developer, we live in a very colorfull world. Mostly our job starts where most computer users ends. And despite the changes in Xojo, you still can work fast. Important is to organise your navigator which will prevent you from being lost and plan and structure your application in advance. The more planning you do, the easier your coding, the less bugs your application contain.

I wish those moaning post should stop because they harm Xojo in a very unfair way. I also encounter bugs which sometimes are frustrating, but I prefer to spend my time to workaround them or find solutions. That is much more productive than moaning about it.

I hope this kind of subjects will end soon because they are not contributing anything positive to application development.

When you based on threads like these, doubt Xojo I can give you only one free advice : just install the free version, use the resources at hand which are plenty and find out for yourself if Xojo works for you or not.

At least it works out for me fine.[/quote]
I know that Xojo works for me. I have already spent a very long time working on my project. I am looking at benefiting users of my software with ideas about what is good about Xojo and I am trying to avoid bad choices in the development of my software.

Thanks

LOL… I rest my case.