Program Speed

This question is not about optimization as much as it is about various devices…
I have an app that in the Simulator averages about 0.014 seconds per cycle
runnin on the device it takes 9.6x longer (0.134) for the EXACT same processing … the device is an old iPad2

does anyone know (or know a source [I’ve looked]) that gives a reasonable indication about speed increases over newer devices (iPads only)

Best I can find is the iPad3 bumped up by approx. 30% (which means it “should” run this same app at 0.094 which is still 6.7x longer than simulator

Code is about as optimized as I can get it, seeing as the original version tool 0.35 on the device

Just for comparison -

If I go to the IMDB movie website using Safari on my iPad 2, it takes forever to load - literally because it never completes. That same site on my iPad 4th gen loads in around 32 seconds (still long, but that’s the fault of the page). Both devices are running iOS 9.3.3. If I load the same page on another iPad 2 running iOS 7, the page loads in 21 seconds.

Thus, it’s iOS more than the device. Do you have an iPad 2 with the older iOS version available to compare against?

no… only have one iPad at the moment and its running 9.3.4
until I get back on my feet again, I have to make due with this one :frowning:

and internal processing speed would be independent (to a point) of upload/download speeds

a site like http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/index-ipad-specs.html has all the specs on memory processor etc

I don’t think the simulator speed reflects the real device speed, it reflects the speed of the mac you’re on.
you choose the device type only for the screen size.
then it will go faster depending of the real device, and you can only try and measure on the real device.

[quote=283137:@Jean-Yves Pochez]I don’t think the simulator speed reflects the real device speed, it reflects the speed of the mac you’re on.
you choose the device type only for the screen size.
then it will go faster depending of the real device, and you can only try and measure on the real device.[/quote]
I understand that… which is why I was looking for this information to “guess” what frame speed I could get out of other “real devices”

Thank you Norm, that gave me what I wanted …

• iPad 2 = 721 (geekScore 32bit)
  • iPad 3 = 756 (1.05x faster)
  • iPad 4 = 1756 (2.4x faster)
  • iPad Mini 3/4 = 2611 (3.62 x faster)
  • iPad Pro = 3591 (4.98 x faster)

this is comparing 32bit speed only, the iPadAir/Mini and above are 64bit

But, in my seat of the pants test it is the iOS version that is most damaging. iOS 9 really beats the heck out of an iPad gen 2 while iOS 7 is actually still quite useable.

Because of the upgrade cost of moving from their personal iPad 2 units, my wife and mother-in-law are looking at Samsung Galaxy Notes rather than sticking with the iPad. They primarily use them for the Web (Chrome), Mail (Gmail), and Kindle, so there’s not a lot of dependence on the Apple ecosystem.

Thanks Tim… for my purposes, I am “assuming” devices all running the same verions of iOS, the good thing is I managed to re-engineer the code so on my antique iPad2 it is now running almost 2x faster than earlier today

it’s good to keep old hardware, then you can detect badly optimized code as it appears slow
and it wouldn’t be noticed on a recent device … until a customer raises the problem …