Problem with IDE in R2016r1

I’m having a problem with the IDE running in Windows 10.

1. I was reformatting some windows, selecting and moving things around. All of a sudden, now when I select something, single selection of button, when I try to move the item the mouse draws a square, as if it is trying to draw a band around multiple controls. I can not move anything with the mouse, the keyboard works but is impossibly slow.

2. I double click on a button that has code tied to it. The code editor flashes open briefly then closes and go back to the window editor.

[ EDIT ] I’ve identified the issue and how to duplicate this behavior. In my case it stems from resizing a page panel smaller than the where the child controls are located. To duplicate, create a page panel, drop a button on the page panel in one of the corners, now resize page panel to have the button be out of the bounds of the page panel. Now try to move the button with mouse. You can’t. Now, select the parent window, select the button again, move the button with the arrow keys, now suddenly you can move the button again with the mouse. Very odd.

I have no idea whether this is present in prior versions. I am using 2016R1…

There’s another IDE issue with PagePanels relating to them only having one page - it only affects 2016r1
Be sure to file a bug report about this since you are able to reproduce it.

More issues. On my large project two successive undo deletes hangs the IDE (not responding) for minutes… Was going to do a force terminate and it finally recovered.

This has not been a good update for me… :frowning: The IDE seem much slower than prior versions. Moving things and just navigating seems to take forever and the screen flashes like it is updated windows and controls that are not even in focus. Like every change results in a re-draw of the entire IDE and the project. Something is wrong…

[quote=259553:@Tim Parnell]There’s another IDE issue with PagePanels relating to them only having one page - it only affects 2016r1
Be sure to file a bug report about this since you are able to reproduce it.[/quote]
This one has already been fixed for a future release

[quote=259565:@Joseph Evert]More issues. On my large project two successive undo deletes hangs the IDE (not responding) for minutes… Was going to do a force terminate and it finally recovered.

This has not been a good update for me… :frowning: The IDE seem much slower than prior versions. Moving things and just navigating seems to take forever and the screen flashes like it is updated windows and controls that are not even in focus. Like every change results in a re-draw of the entire IDE and the project. Something is wrong…[/quote]

Record a movie of whats going on so we can see it and file a report with that movie attached

Norman, what is the largest example project you ship with the product? I want to see if I can get these issues to show up on something you have.

I’d try one of the sample applications

“this has not been a good update for me… :frowning: The IDE seem much slower than prior versions”

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. Webapp development is very slow now with the 2016r1. My new Win7 64bit machine has Intel I7-6700 CPU, 8Gb RAM, SSD, but… it takes very long times now between two mouse click to get some reactions from XOJO. 2015r4.1 was much faster. I am a bit disappointed and wait for 2016r1.1 every day.

Yes, of course, but I was asking what is the “largest” sample applications that you ship with Xojo. I believe this is related to the size of the project and want to try it on one of the bigger sample applications. You ship.

Norman, I can tell you how to reproduce what myself and I think others are seeing. For some background, my application is a few windows but with many controls spread throughout multiple pages on a single page panel. Now when I try to drop a new control (button) onto the window the IDE freezes (not responding in title bar). Many seconds latter (20-30) the button shows up and the IDE flashes and comes back to life.

To duplicate this, create a new desktop application. Drop a page panel onto the window, increase page count to 10 or so. Now start to drop many controls onto the pages, spread them over pages. You can see once you start to have more controls the IDE starts to respond slowly and progressively gets worse as you add more controls. Once you reach 20-30 controls spread throughout the page panels there is a noticeable 2-3 second delay when dropping new controls onto the window. It gets progressively worse as more controls are added. Double clicking on a button to add code to the action event results in a serious delay while the IDE tries to open the code editor.

In my case the IDE is not usable in this state.

The delay is most likely dependent on memory and computer speed, I am developing on an intel i74510u 2.0G with 8G ram.

Is this is a web project ?
If so we’re already aware of this & looking into causes & remedies

If not just record a movie - please
The reason I ask you to do this is

1. we dont always have the same set ups so we may not see what you see
  2. if it is project size dependent then a movie will let us see what is happening on your end and maybe replicate it
  3. there may be “something” else apart from the steps you’re mentioning that is revealed in the movie (you have no idea how many times this turns out to be important or the key to reproducing a bug)

Norman, this is a desktop application.

Here is the video of a new application created following the steps above:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5ucnld2f9po3cf/Xojo2016r1.mp4?dl=0

The button is dropped when the location cross hairs stop moving. You can see there is a significant delay, then a short “not responding” then the button appears.

Norman,

Here is another video. This time double clicking a button and adding code to the action event. Very slow to open the editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rp87k3y4xtwe25/Xojo2016r1%20-%202.mp4?dl=0

That’s not the video he’s asking for. They are aware of the IDE slowness with web stuff.

Norman would like the video for

Tim, they are aware of the IDE slowness for WEB Applications. My application is a DESKTOP application - see notes above.

Done.

Biggest issue was crashing every time I tried to create a new method. Well, not every time. It would work after a reboot.

I went back to 2015. Much faster, more stable.

Did you clear the caches ?