Pro App look of Apple, how

Hi, how do we in Xojo make apps look like apples pro apps like , Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Motion, Share Monitor etc., and this new app from another company, Final Cut Library Manager…

Is there a control set for us to use for these kind of things ?

Maybe someone else here has a better clue, but as as I know there’s only the usual design and the metal window look available in OS X’ resources.
I opened the package of GarageBand (yes, I know, that’s not really pro, but has many of the dark design features) and found most of the backgrounds as Tiff files lying in its resource folder. I guess you’ll find the same in the mentioned apps as well.
Therefore it looks to me like you’ll need to design all your window elements on your own and then include them in a background canvas or the like.

Well the first thing to do is become familiar with the Developer guidelines issued by Apple. Beyond that everything else is specific to the application being developed.

As Ulrich has already pointed out most of this stuff is done by changing color on the standard controls and then adding your own custom ones using graphic, painting on the canvas and so on. XOJO certainly has the ability to do most of this stuff, it really is a case of you coming up with the design and then putting the effort into designing the graphics required and writing the code to make it happen.

I only know of one vendor who has a set of controls that might interest you: www.jeremieleroy.com However I have not used this package and can not speak as to it’s quality. Perhaps some one else can comment on it.

Use canvases. You can do anything with a canvas and some code. You can even make the visual elements of the interface in photoshop if necessary and then layout the parts in code with a canvas. We’ve made everything from custom buttons to entire, completely custom listboxes using canvases.

It’s a lot of work but will result in (a) something much better looking and (b) something cross platform when done in Xojo.

Hi,

You could also consider the CustomUI set of controls: http://www.jeremieleroy.com/products/customui.php
They are cross platform and highly customizable. No need to waist your time on creating everything from scratch with the Canvas control.

You know what?
I don’t think Garageband looks like App Store, which doesn’t look like iTunes , which doesn’t look like Pages.
I don’t own the Pro apps listed above… I assume they look different again?

In the apps I use, I see toolbars at the top, toolbars at the bottom, brushed metal, textures, flat buttons, monochrome buttons, and color toolbar items in Pages.

Well the first thing to do is become familiar with the Developer guidelines issued by Apple. <<
And then pick one app and try to look like that?

Ones did take a look at this but the controls are so slow its just not useable imo

They are very different. Final Cut Pro X, Logic X, and Aperture all have their own look that is in no way related to iMovie or Garageband.

In fact, most pro editing apps adhere to this darker theme since it is easier to use in a low light environment and doesn’t detract from the editing source materials. Pro Tools, Media Composer, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Smoke, Flame … all of the big name apps used in the professional video/film and audio worlds use that darker scheme.

Final Cut Pro 10:

Logic Pro X:

After Effects CC:

Motion

[quote=69697:@JrmieLeroy]Hi,

You could also consider the CustomUI set of controls: http://www.jeremieleroy.com/products/customui.php
They are cross platform and highly customizable. No need to waist your time on creating everything from scratch with the Canvas control.[/quote]

i have one thing to say about Jrmie Leroy: He delivers things of high quality, and is very helpful for his customers. When I open a ticket for a bug or a feature request, it’s looks like he fixes it faster than I can write the ticket.