Postgres Function Question

I am trying to create what I think should be a simple function all I ever get back when I call it is NIL:

The Table:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS SimpleListTable(
	Key0	            		SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
	ParentKey			INTEGER REFERENCES SimpleListTable(Key0) ON DELETE CASCADE ,
	ID				VarChar(20) NOT NULL,
      	Description     		VarChar(80) ,
   					CONSTRAINT valid_child CHECK( ParentKey <> Key0) );

This table is a list of lists (I did something like this way back in the early 90s in an SQL like language)

I have a bunch of simple short lists that I don’t want to hardcode in the app and also not want to have to create individual tables for…

The Function:

CREATE FUNCTION InList (_Key INTEGER, _PARENT INTEGER) RETURNS BOOLEAN AS $$
BEGIN
   RETURN _Parent IN (SELECT ParentKey From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key); 
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

When I test it it always returns NULL
I want to use this function for check constraints on fields in other tables to limit the legal vales to the proper list entries

Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
-Karen

I’d try

RETURN Query Select _Parent IN (SELECT ParentKey From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key);

Or rather:
Declare
vResult boolean;
BEGIN
Select _Parent IN (SELECT ParentKey From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key) into vResult;
Return vResult;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Hello KarenA

CREATE FUNCTION InList (_Key INTEGER)
RETURNS BOOLEAN AS $$
BEGIN
RETURN EXISTS(SELECT 1 From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key);
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

As a recommendation, table and field names in lowercase

Mauricio.

Hi Maximillian.

Your function Returns true when True but NULL if false.

Looking at all the suggestions I came up with something that works, though I don’t know if it the most efficient (cheapest) solution:

BEGIN
RETURN EXISTS (SELECT 1 From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key AND ParentKey = _PARENT LIMIT 1);
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Thanks All,
-Karen

Limit, it is not necessary, you are doing a search by PK…

Mauricio.

I just realized there are other issues…

If I use that function in a check constraint it would not allow setting that field to NULL…

Also looking at the Postgres docs they say:

(I don’t Understand Exclude)

This type of check constraint, although it is only about a single field, it would likely get checked on data load and it might not matter that the field itself is a foreign Key that gets evaluated after the DB is fully loaded.

So I either have to implement the check as a trigger on insert (which I would rather not), or make sure that during a restore if the listItem does not yet exist, it still passes the check…

I THINK I came with one:

BEGIN
	IF (_Key Is NULL) Then
		RETURN   TRUE;
  	ELSEIF EXISTS (SELECT 1 From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key AND ParentKey = _PARENT) Then
  		RETURN TRUE;
  	ELSEIF NOT EXISTS(SELECT 1 From SimpleListTable WHERE Key0 = _Key) THEN
  		RETURN TRUE;
  	ELSE
  		RETURN FALSE;
  	END IF;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

It looks like it would allow values not in the SimpleListTable at all, but that should not be the case because the field would be defined as a Foreign Key so that would get checked after the DB is fully loaded…

I will tentatively mark this as the solution, but if any Postgres experts see an issue with this please post about it!

The only other issues I see is if the ListItems parent is changed…I think that is extremely unlikely

Thanks,
-Karen

Hi Karen,

Your function Returns true when True but NULL if false.

Ah yes, that’s because your ParentKeys are apparently NULL sometimes and
Select 1 IN (NULL,2) returns NULL. This is why it is indeed better to work with EXISTS in your scenario.

So I either have to implement the check as a trigger on insert (which I would rather not),

Why not? That would be the standard thing to do. Use a before-insert-trigger and return null from it if it violates the rule or raise an exception.

The only other issues I see is if the ListItems parent is changed…I think that is extremely unlikely

You can make sure it won’t ever change via a before trigger as well. Before triggers are made for this exact purpose - to check if the incoming data adheres to your business rules.

Thanks a lot. It also help me.