Plugins not loading after switch to new XOJO release

I made a blog post: Xojo in Quarantine

1 Like

Thank you so much for your (almost) supraluminic reactivity and quite efficient answer.
Sorry I had not seen earlier your post dedicated to that quarantine problem on your MBS blog.
It does work fine now.
Ich danke dir sehr, merci infiniment.
:pray:t3:

Yes, but the root cause is not solved.
Why doesn’t Xojo load the plugins, should a program in quarantine note even start?
Is it Xojo, or a MacOS bug (certainly not MBS)?

I would classify it as a Xojo bad behavior caused by a unexpected change in the MacOS behavior.

It’s at least something Xojo Inc. should work on.
e.g. detect it, report to user, offer help to resolve. So far they ignore it. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s a bug in macOS that has been there around since Apple did the Gatekeeper.

The problem is “solved” in BS because then the app says “damaged, can’t start” until the xattrs are removed.

It is not a “bug in macOS” because Gatekeeper is operating as intended.

Xojo should do more error protection to help users who might not know this.

1 Like

It’s a bug in Gatekeeper because Gatekeeper should remove the xattrs on its own after Xojo is copied from the dmg to the applications folder. Please tell me what users do wrong when they drag Xojo to the applications folder? If something doesn’t work all the time it’s clearly a bug. And now in BS Xojo can’t do anything because of the “damaged” error message.

Yet, mysteriously, Xojo users are the only ones with this problem. I’ve searched “Gatekeeper flag clear bug” I’ve tried to feed Google the answer, and I can’t find any other reference of this being a bug.

I can’t find Apple developer forum references, I can’t find other development tool references. Nothing about this being a bug.

Gatekeeper is operating as intended by preventing code from an incorrect location from running. Xojo should do more error protection to help users who might not know this.

3 Likes

As I said, on my Mac: after installing a new version (like almost every second month!) Xojo runs normally, it just doesn’t load any plugins…
Not sure why apparently Gatekeeper does this, or what its rule are…

I now and then get warnings from Little Snitch that apps are translocated. And not very many apps use plugins. The only one I use that comes to my mind is RapidWeaver. So most users wouldn’t even notice a translocated app.

What else should Xojo do when you only have a dmg? The only thing they could change would be to do a pkg file and blast the §$%& xattrs to space as postbuild script.

Properly designed applications have no issue with Translocation. RapidWeaver plugins are stored in Application Support and can be accessed if RW is running Translocated. Xojo could at a minimum check to see if it’s translocated.

I know there’s not really a “fix” that Xojo can implement to make it super easy, but I agree with Christian that there should be at least some messaging. This would not only help users new to Translocation, but might save the avid Xojo user from having to dig around when projects don’t compile.

I think a dialog like this would do wonders of good:

Xojo is Translocated
Xojo appears to be running from a temporary location designed to protect your system. This security feature prevents Xojo from loading plugins, so you may need to remove quarantine flags manually.

For more information please check out the documentation.

[ Continue ] [ More Information… ]

For anyone interested in adding this to their own software, this is the method that I use with Plugins Pro

2 Likes

It would indeed be nice. I’ve spent one hour trying to figure why plugins did not load on my brand new mac mini (finally, I can try the M1 chip :hugs:).

While I know about translocation, I didn’t expected items inside the bundle to be unavailable (though it makes sense, as malware can’t be put in a not-yet approved app’s plugin and then executed).

Would be helpful if Xojo could show a warning, for sure. But since it can’t load plugins, can it at least “see” them? (I’d expect yes, but who knows…)

Just got a dandy new MacBook Pro ( MX pro ).

And I slammed headlong into this problem. Oddly downloading 2019 r2 two and 2019 r3 did not show the problem with the original download of 2019 r1. only 2019 r1 had the issue had the issue.

For what it’s worth when I ran. “xattr -cr” . i got a boatload of errors. Here is snippet of the first dozen or so

After calling sudo -s before the fix worked. Of course this fix scared the living hell out of me as I don’t know exactly what I’m doing with a command line… Xojo promised me I wouldn’t have to learn that years ago.

xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/RndFldRightLarge.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/RndFldRightLarge.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/MenuSeparator16@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/MenuSeparator16@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/Intrinsic@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/Intrinsic@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/ActiveX@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/ActiveX@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/ConstraintPriority1@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/ConstraintPriority1@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/cmd_FillHeight@2x.png'
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 1.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/cmd_FillHeight@2x.png'

I struggle also every time a new Xojo version is published, furthermore because I keep my programming stuff in an own folder in the Applications folder, and Tim Cook doesn’t like that.
But a just a quick thought: can it be, that it has to do with the Application folder, not being a member of the Users folder since a MacOs change a few years ago?

Is this compatible with M1 ?

We also keep Xojo in a folder in /applications.
No problem here.

Yes for Web. For Desktop, you need to replace a file (or two) from 2019r3.2.

Care to share the names of the files ?