Playing a video in Quicktime

I am working on a Mac with El Capitan 10.11.3 and Xojo 2015 Release 2.2

I am testing a small utility to play video full screen. I want to play it full screen with no menus or text of any kind. I thought playing it in Quicktime would work. On my text app, I dropped on a MoviePlayer on my window and set PlayerType to Quicktime. When I run it plays MoviePlayer not Quicktime as I know it. here is the short code…

Dim f As FolderItem
f=GetOpenFolderItem("")
if f<> Nil then
MoviePlayer1.HasStep=False
MoviePlayer1.movie=f.OpenAsMovie
MoviePlayer1.play
end if

Is there away to launch real quicktime and set it to full screen?
Thank you,
James

Okays there nothing like starting a pet project and the whole foundation and purpose to project has been removed from the programming software, Apple QuickTime support… I get that the issue is not Xojo’s fault. And I see from reading some posted, some way back to early 2014 talking about this and that we have to go to AV Foundations. I also see that there is no support in Xojo that I can find for AV Foundations and it is now 2016. Is something Xojo is going to be addressing or not? One would think there would at least be a doc or help file on the Xojo sight deal with this and maybe I have just missed, I tend to do that… Is there something out there on this that is Xojo specific?

Although the Movie Player sort of works if is so feature poor I really cannot do what I wanted with it.
JMW

Xojo uses AVFoundation for the MoviePlayer since 2014.

This will launch your movie with QuickTime Player, you might have to use AppleScript to get it to go full screen.

dim theMovieFile as FolderItem // I'll leave this part up to you
#if TargetMacOS then
  // Launch file with selected app
  declare function NSClassFromString Lib "Foundation" (name as CFStringRef) as Ptr
  declare function sharedApplication Lib "AppKit" Selector "sharedWorkspace" (obj As Ptr) as Ptr
  dim sharedWorkspace as ptr = sharedApplication(NSClassFromString("NSWorkspace"))

declare function openFile Lib "AppKit" Selector "openFile:withApplication:" (id as ptr, urlString as CFStringRef, appName as CFStringRef) as Boolean
  call openFile(sharedWorkspace, theMovieFile.NativePath, "QuickTime Player")
#end

Thank you! No I am off to figure out the Apple script part. Have a great day Tim!
JMW

or just set you app to fullscreen thats only one click :slight_smile:
set the player to full size, and lock right and bottom edges…

Hi Helge, I have the Movie player locked to all four sides and menu turned off on the window and the app. I use the line ‘window1.FullScreen = true’ to go full screen. The menu bar still shows up, and I am not sure how to make it hide.

The app will listen to a udp port for incoming play commands, once received and matched, the app will play a video fullscreen looping without any menus on a TV. Or at least that is the plan.

I have an app like this as well. In fact I did one that could sync play as many machines as you like… just listening to timecode coming from udp. All playing in full screen…

Put these two in the window open event…
me.FullScreen = TRUE
me.MenuBarVisible = FALSE

Thanks Helge, found the MenuBarVisible just after my post.

The player is now working exactly like I wanted.
Thanks all,
JMW