Paul Lefebvre's Database Tutorial

I’m following Brad Rhine and Paul Lefebvre’s tutorial on Databases from their book “Introduction to Xojo Programming.” Although I’m not new to Xojo, I’ve never worked with Databases before and I’m at an impasse. When I run the project, I’m getting a “Database Exception” and “rs” is coming up as Nil. The code was copied and pasted directly from their book. I’m also including a screenshot of the debugger if that will help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Var sql As String  
Var rs As RowSet  
sql = "SELECT name, email"  
sql = sql + "FROM addressbook"  
If search.Text <> "" Then  
  sql = sql + "WHERE LOWER(name) LIKE LOWER('%" +  _  
  SQLify(search.Text) +"%') "  
  sql = sql + "OR LOWER(email) LIKE LOWER('%" +  _  
  SQLify(search.Text) +"%')"  
End If  
sql = sql + "ORDER BY name"  
Try
  rs = MyDatabase.SelectSQL(sql)  
  AddressBox.RemoveAllRows  
  While Not rs.AfterLastRow  
    AddressBox.AddRow(rs.Column("name").StringValue)  
    AddressBox.CellValueAt(AddressBox.LastAddedRowIndex, 1) =  _  
    rs.Column("email").StringValue  
    rs.MoveToNextRow  
  Wend  
Catch error As DatabaseException  
  MessageBox(error.Message) 
End Try

Hi where is the blank after email before FROM see debugger …also in Order …

1 Like

Spaces are important and you’re missing some. For example there is no space between email & FROM.

Var rs As RowSet  
sql = "SELECT name, email"  
sql = sql + " FROM addressbook"  
If search.Text <> "" Then  
  sql = sql + " WHERE LOWER(name) LIKE LOWER('%" +  _  
  SQLify(search.Text) +"%') "  
  sql = sql + " OR LOWER(email) LIKE LOWER('%" +  _  
  SQLify(search.Text) +"%')"  
End If  
sql = sql + " ORDER BY name"  
Try
  rs = MyDatabase.SelectSQL(sql)  
  AddressBox.RemoveAllRows  
  While Not rs.AfterLastRow  
    AddressBox.AddRow(rs.Column("name").StringValue)  
    AddressBox.CellValueAt(AddressBox.LastAddedRowIndex, 1) =  _  
    rs.Column("email").StringValue  
    rs.MoveToNextRow  
  Wend  
Catch error As DatabaseException  
  MessageBox(error.Message) 
End Try

I’ve added spaces above where I think they are needed.

3 Likes

Yep! That was it! I didn’t realize spaces were so critical. Many thanks to both of you!!

its not about spaces its about sql command, u could also use a query editor like Valentina studio, click the fields and copy the sql…

Maybe next exit ; use mbs sql, or something different, maybe there will be a argen again ,…
Makes life much easier.
BR Rainer

Thanks again, Rainer! I’ll definitely check out that editor. As I said, I’m new to Databases and until now, I’ve been using text files to store my data. That’s works fine for Desktop, but I’m creating an iOS app for the App Store and that method of storing data won’t work to well in that case. Is there a good resource you could recommend that will help me to get a better handle on SQL?

How about Valentina ( have a look at omega bundle) , or even Xcode, or the mbs plugin… If you stay with sqlite there are many on the web
@Beatrix_Willius : whats your SQL Editor ?

BR Rainer

w3schools.com has a pretty good tutorial on SQL. I’m still using it a lot.

2 Likes

@Rainer_Greim For Valentina, I take it I’ll have to choose one of the purchase options if I want any real functionality?

Give it a try, and decide , what u really need. But the price is fair.

I did try it out. When I went to “Apply Changes,” which appears to be a necessary step, it told me that this was only available as a purchase option. But I agree with you about the price. I looked into Navicat and discovered that it will set you back 64.99 a month, 649.99 a year, or 1,299.00 for a license (USD). 79.99 is definitely fair.

I never looked at the before this as I stated using Xojo/RS/RB before the book existed, but out of curiosity and just checked it out

In it when speaking about Select Case it says:

But while I don’t really know C, I thought that the switch switch statement will execute the code in every clause matching the condition, while Select Case exits after executing the code in first matching condition only… Seems like a big difference to me.

Given the influence of C, I assume other languages that have Switch would behave the same way as in C. Am I mistaken?

-Karen

Try dBeaver. $99 for the personal version. It works with many databases and is easy to use. We use the enterprise version all the time.

1 Like

You can code it either way. If you do not want it to fall through to the next section of code, you add “break;” – if you leave off the “break;” (hopefully intentionally…) it will fall through. Which can be useful in some instances as well. But when I intentionally do it, I add a comment to that effect and why because more often than not you do want to stop it from falling through.

I’ll definitely check that out as well. Thanks so much!

For debug purposes, you can report the sql (please, rename it sql_cmd) in a TextArea where you can read it as Xojo get it.

The result can be - sometimes - surprising…

And when you are OK with it, simply remove it.

1 Like

Robert,

One thing to help with formatting SQL statements is to put them in a constant. You can put in spaces and returns as needed. Also, get a tool to view the database. The one from Valentina is excellent. You can then try out your queries there.

2 Likes

No. A switch executes at most one clause.

Where do you declare MyDatabase, where do you connect to a database?

1 Like

In which language are you referring to?

Many years ago I tried C (even bought the K&R book) … but hated the syntax, so I quickly stoped looking at it, but I do recall a few things .

In C I recalled that every condition is evaluated in a switch and if true the corresponding code execute by default UNLESS one puts a Break statement at the end of the condition code that evaluated to true (Similar in concept to Xojo Exit for loops) …

Which is why I found the statement in the Xojo book misleading

So by default every condition would be tested and executed if true, though one can optionally change that behavior with break statements. That is not true with Xojo Select Case and I think that is a BIG significant difference between the two statements.

-Karen