Passing an enum into a method

I have an interesting issue where I have two file formats that are pretty similar and quite complex. The difference between them is there are extra rows in one file compared to another. It makes sense to read the file with one method.

Our existing code uses an enum to document the row numbers for each of the elements of interest. Obviously with the update to two different file types the value list of the enum will be different based on the filetype. So, that lead me to think about passing the enum into the method. However, there doesn’t seem to be a way of doing that. Note I mean passing the whole enum not a member of it. The following code would allow me to pass a value of an enum into a method:

Function Process(row as MyEnum)
    ' Code here
End Function

' Used like this:
Process MyEnum.Value1

But it doesn’t allow me to pass the whole of the enum. Code that would look something like this:

' This doesn't work
Function Process(AnEnum as Enum)
End Function

' And neither does this
Function Process(AnEnum as Enumeration)
End Function

The closest idea I’ve had to to create a class with two subclasses, each containing a version of the enum.

#tag Class
Class RowDescriber
End Class

Protected Class SecondFileRows Inherits RowDescriber
    Enum, Name = RowNumbers, Flags = &h0
	RowX = 5
	RowY = 11
    End Enum
End Class

Protected Class FirstFileRows Inherits RowDescriber
    Enum, Name = RowNumbers, Flags = &h0
	RowX = 1
	RowY = 10
    End Enum
End Class

Function Process(EnumClass as RowDescriber)
    if row = EnumClass.RowNumbers.RowX then
       ' Do what is required
    end if
End Function

' Called something like this:
If filetype = 1 then
   Process( New FirstFileRows )
else
   Process( New SecondFileRows )
end if

I still think there are issues with this approach as the base class doesn’t know that the enum exists so the Process code would likely complain about the references to RowNumbers.

Any pointers would be welcome. How can I decide which enum is used in a Method based on code.

Actually that falls apart because you can’t access the enum of an instance of the class only the class its self. ie you can only do:

Row = RowDescriber.RowNumbers.RowX

' and not
EnumClass.RowNumbers.RowX

Closest I’ve come is to have a single class containing properties RowX and RowY and set them in the constructor. Alternatively, create a structure to house the properties and again assign them in the constructor. The structure at least allows me to have groups of properties such as:

MyClass.StatusRows.RowX
MyClass.StatusRows.RowY
MyClass.InputRows.Age
MyClass.InputRows.Gender

etc. It’s an improvement over my previous thought of having Computed properties that would decide on the fly. Trouble with that is it has to decide each and every time one of them is accessed, whereas, the assign at constructor method only requires a single if to create the set.

The types aren’t Enum or Enumeration, it should be NameOfYourEnum.

Function Process(anEnum as Class1.MyEnum)

And then called as

Process Class1.MyEnum.Value

Nope. As I said I don’t want to pass a value of an enum into the function. I want to pass a whole enum into the method. Within process I want to be able to access MyEnum.RowX and MyEnum.RowY

I suppose I could use arrays or a dictionary but the code gets messy.

I think you’ll have to fake the enums using classes and passing an instance around. It might be best to use methods to get the values rather than properties as you could then make both classes inherit from the same interface.

Hmm… whilst it would work the file could have 1,000,000 rows in it and all those function calls will take a lot of time. My structure method at least is only a memory access, with no stack operations involved.

In the process is something like this:

For each Row in File
    Select case ctype( Row, Class.MyEnum )
         Case MyClass.MyEnum.RowX
         Case MyClass.MyEnum.RowY
   End select
Next

There are a great number of RowX type options and many many loops.

Basically, all I’m after is a group of constants (or several groups) that will be as easy to read as the above code. Also, change the constants efficiently based on the type of file being processed.

Class MyEnumEquivalent
   Structure RowNums
     RowX as Integer
     RowY as Integer
   End Structure

Public Property RowNumbers As RowNums

Public Sub Constructor(Type as integer)
        If Type = 1 Then
            RowNumbers.RowX = 1
            RowNumbers.RowY = 2
        Else
            RowNumbers.RowX = 2
            RowNumbers.RowY = 10
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

Now my code would look like this:

For each Row in File
    Select case Row
       Case MyClass.RowNumbers.RowX
       Case MyClass.RowNumbers.RowY
   End select
Next

RowNumbers is a fake enum (structure) with RowX and RowY as elements.

Could you not extract the values from the class and store them in local variables?

Yes, but that’s a lot of code that would need to be called every time you process a file.

My way I could create two instances at the start of the application and then pass the required one for each file I process.

I don’t understand your response.

In case you have misunderstood me, this is what i’m suggesting.

1. Class Type1 would have methods GetRowX & GetRowY which return the values.
  2. Class Type2 would have methods GetRowX & GetRowY which return the values.
  3. Both classes would inherit from an interface that defines those methods.
  4. Your app would create instances of the two classes at startup.
  5. You would pass the relevant instanc to your reader function.
  6. Your reader function would call the GetRowX & GetRowY methods of the provided class and store the values in local variables before it reads any data.
  7. Your reader loops around the data and uses the local variables to compare.

Yes, I know. But each time I call your Method GetRowX I will incur a function call. Even if I cache all of these parameters in local variables you have added 80 odd local variables to the memory footprint, plus the time taken to perform that action. There isn’t just one file to be read. It could be hundreds of them.

Using my method I have a single class that can be instantiated once for each file type at the start of the application. Then as the code is working to process the file I pass the appropriate instance into the function for each file it processes.

The method looks exactly the same on the inside. The enums simply become configurable at startup. There is a single place (the constructor) where you can see all the enums and the values assigned to them, rather than having to look in 80 odd methods to ensure you have the correct values for each element.

I would imagine the time to do this + the memory used would be extremely small.

That is what I suggested.

I guess you could have a single place but how are you going to return multiple values?

Not quite, you suggested copying them into local variables. Which would have to happen at the start of each file. My method doesn’t require the local variables at all.

What I am saying is that the code using enums looks identical to the code using my method. It is clean and has no penalty for lookups. There is nothing to return. I define some structures and simply fill them in the constructor. In that constructor every variable is configured. I’m only using structures as I have 5 enums in the first place. Each structure is effectively an enum replacement, but configurable at runtime.

I didn’t have to create 160 methods to return my variables (80 parameters, two file types).

Speed and memory utilisation really really matters to this application. It runs 1000s of patients worth of data unto 1,000,000 times for each of up to 10,000 configurations. Each of these runs can take 5-10 seconds. e.g. each patient could be processed 10,000,000,000 times and there could be 100,000 patients. The Core of the application is written in C++ for speed and xojo is the interface. Oh, yes and the user could have many of these datasets to process.

OK. Your more detailed explanation makes sense.

I imagine a structure would be quicker than calling methods for every row you iterate. However, if you are accessing the structure members for every row you iterate you might still get a boost from using local variables.

A quick test iterating 100,000,000 told me the following:
32 Bit App
• Accessing 5 class methods = 35.48 seconds
• Accessing 5 structure members = 9.07 seconds
• Accessing 5 local variables = 8.78 seconds

64 Bit App
• Accessing 5 class methods = 22.19 seconds
• Accessing 5 structure members = 4.13 seconds
• Accessing 5 local variables = 3.69 seconds

If you are processing that amount of data are you running multiple instances to process more than one patient at a time?

Yes, the code is able to run up to 124 threads at once. The source data is in an XLSM workbook and it transferred into a database, each thread then works on its own DB file. Everything is then brought together at the end.

It was also created before workers came along.