Pagepanel Bug

Hi there…

why is this pagepannel grey (and at runtime it seems to be pseudo transparent) and why i cant change its color? The pagebuilder causes color bugs like this… i tried to use a pagebuilder in a tabpanel, which has a white background.

Then i placed a slider there and this slider has now the grey background on a white form…this sucks. Is there a solution for this, xojo dont have a comfortable scrollview like modern languages.

Pagepanels don’t have a background color. They are invisible at runtime. Are you complaining about the way it looks in the IDE? The pagepanel is shown with the default window color. The anomoly is the tabpanel, which has a white background instead of the default window color.

Sliders take the color of their parent - the control or window they are placed on.

Yes the slider takes the color of the PagePanel which is grey… and this happens in runtime on windows.

Sorry, but aren’t you mixing up PagePanel with TabPanel?
When I look at the screen print, I see a TabPanel, not a PagePanel.

Limitation of Windows version due to Win32. This was discussed in another thread the other day, see:

https://forum.xojo.com/33598-slider-control-paints-with-wrong-background-color/p1#p274795

for a workaround.

[quote=275567:@Paul Sondervan]Sorry, but aren’t you mixing up PagePanel with TabPanel?
When I look at the screen print, I see a TabPanel, not a PagePanel.[/quote]

No the pagepanel is invisible ofc. But it seems the problem it self comes from the tappanel, i deleted the page panel for testing.

[quote=275568:@Merv Pate]Limitation of Windows version due to Win32. This was discussed in another thread the other day, see:

https://forum.xojo.com/33598-slider-control-paints-with-wrong-background-color/p1#p274795

for a workaround.[/quote]

Hm in Visual-Studio there is no limitation, seems to be a Xojo problem.

me.parent = nil

This helps on the open event…thank you

[quote=275571:@Sascha Mierke]Hm in Visual-Studio there is no limitation, seems to be a Xojo problem.

me.parent = nil

This helps on the open event…thank you[/quote]

Visual Studio is using .NET controls. Xojo is using Win32 controls. So there are limitations in Xojo that you won’t find in VS.

There has been a long standing Feature Request to move Xojo to .NET that has been in the top ten rank for years :
<https://xojo.com/issue/28733>

Hm ok … seems to be that xojo is not really interested in this :slight_smile:

Fact is they had a lot on their plate for the last two years. I still hope they will get to .NET and Windows New API eventually.

Seems Xojo tends to rest on Microsoft extraordinary legacy compatibility, whereas they have to run and play catch up with Apple all the time, since Mac OS changes very regularly with loads of things that are dropped. And there is a huge Mac lobby here, especially since a significant number of us users depend on the Mac App Store for spinach.

Windows did get support for HiDPI as a resulting spin-off, though, and it is very nice.

I have half a dozen apps written with VS in the Windows Store, but unfortunately, sales are still about 1/10th the MAS same titles. Also, only New API Appx can go in there. Although Microsoft released the Project Centennial Desktop converter that makes Appx apps out of Win32 one, and the Windows Store should eventually accept them. I have decided that I did not want to spend time porting my apps to VS, but as soon as I can put my Win32 apps in the Windows Store, I will be in the starting blocks.

me.parent = nil

is not really cool, so the control does not switch the pages…because it doesnt belong to the pagepanel anymore.
Woah this is so annoying to care about such things…

[quote=275579:@Sascha Mierke]me.parent = nil

is not really cool, so the control does not switch the pages…because it doesnt belong to the pagepanel anymore.
Woah this is so annoying to care about such things…[/quote]

Indeed a control needs to be child of a page. The simplest way is to rest it as a child of a white rectangle, itself child of the TabPanel. Or make the rectangle whatever color you need.

Being able to quickly write applications that will run on Windows and OS X out of the same code base with minimal differences, makes up for that. If you are not interested in cross-platform developing, there may be other choices that have less of these issues to workaround on Windows. If you need to write apps that will run on Windows and the Mac, Xojo is a pretty good choice.

But that’s what makes great software great.

If you put the time and the effort into making your app look and function well you end up with happier users, and more people will recommend your software to each other. I am curious to see how your Ark server setup thing will turn out. Will it just create the config, or does it start and launch the server too?

Make it great, you never know who’s interested.