Override the "flicker fix" of overlapping controls

Hello. With the recent Xojo update that reduced flicker on Windows, is there a way to override the effect it has on the controls when they partially overlap? I have several areas where there is a partial/full overlap of controls, and it now seems to disregard the transparency of labels. A transparent label over a canvas displaying a picture now shows the standard grey background of the window, where it used to show the canvas picture in the background. I have instances of that and also where I have two canvases - one larger one as the outside darker grey background when the mouse moves into the smaller canvas with an image that is inside the larger one. This is working as expected, but now the inner canvas shows as a square box, and the image inside has rounded edges, so there is spaces on each corner that shows the grey window background instead of the expected rounded edge

Why do you use a Label? Why not simply draw the text yourself???

You should also not have two canvases but just one. Draw the large rectangle, then draw the picture - all in ONE canvas.

And best draw it to a buffer picture and in the canvas paint event simply draw the buffer picture.

Thanks Markus. I use a variety of labels that perform different needs. It’s much easier to drag a label to the window and enter the text or change the text on the fly. Coding those pieces into the canvas would be much too time-consuming

For the overlapping canvases, I have two screens that have multiple of these two canvas combinations. I cannot see making a bunch of these images with the grey background as I just have one grey background image that is used for all background canvases

Fast and bad is preferable to slower but good? Must be a generation thingy …

It’s your app, but if you insist on doing it “your way” (aka wrong) then there are consequences (aka stay on an older version, have visual glitches) … so learn to live with it.

Unfortunately, that’s what I just did for this minor update I had to push through (revert back to 17 r3)

I am going to revisit this once I have more time to play around. The app is quite large, so there are many areas that have to be fixed to comply with 18 r1.1 (and most likely r2, which I haven’t gotten around to updating to yet)

Thanks for the input

While we talk about R2…

How can we fix the Background of Labels on a TabPanel inside a Container? Transparent settings making no difference… :-/

Sasha, you know better than to hijack a thread. Go on, make your own!

[lazy bumchen!]

Both questions stem from the same cause: Windows doesn’t use Transparency anymore.

You can fix both issues by properly applying control nesting and having the correct parent. William showed how this works at XDC.

OP should consider the single canvas approach for the best solution.

Yup. And you are “welcome” to buy the XDC videos if you want to know how …

Colour me unimpressed.

“How this works” is not the same as “how to do” jeeze.

How to do:

1. Drag control into another control
  2. The control that will be the parent gets a red glow
  3. Let go when correct

[quote=399654:@Tim Parnell]“How this works” is not the same as “how to do” jeeze.

How to do:

1. Drag control into another control
  2. The control that will be the parent gets a red glow
  3. Let go when correct[/quote]

But thats how we do since years… :-/

[quote=399654:@Tim Parnell]How to do:

Drag control into another control
The control that will be the parent gets a red glow
Let go when correct[/quote]

BTW: Try this with a TabPanel on a ContainerControl. It shows the red glow but does not care about a parent. Next try to Unparent the TabPanel. You cant.