OS X Screen Resolution?

Hi,
I am completely changing the UI of my app, and was wondering what the maximum size of my window should ideally be.

I currently have my window 1000 wide, by 600 high - this ensures that it displays completely on a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

I would ideally like to make it a bit bigger, but am not sure if it is advisable to require the user to have a screen resolution higher than 1024 x 768???

The app is OS X only, and I have never owned a mac with a 1024 x 768 resolution - it has always been higher.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

I’m not at my Macbook right now, but i think the Height of my Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 is natively on 800px.

[quote=173019:@Richard Summers]am completely changing the UI of my app, and was wondering what the maximum size of my window should ideally be.

I currently have my window 1000 wide, by 600 high - this ensures that it displays completely on a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

I would ideally like to make it a bit bigger, but am not sure if it is advisable to require the user to have a screen resolution higher than 1024 x 768???

The app is OS X only, and I have never owned a mac with a 1024 x 768 resolution - it has always been higher.
Any advice would be much appreciated.[/quote]

If your window is resizeable, it should not matter too much, as long as you take care of the necessary repositionning and resizing of controls. Just check when you open the window that it does not exceed the current resolution, and if so, size down the window.

If your app is using a fixed size window, 1000x600 seems quite adequate. Since 2006, the 13.3" Mac Book has had 1280 x 800 maximum resolution. But it supports 1024 x 640 as well as 800 x 600, so you never know. You are set for 1024x640.

There may still be be users who use 800 x 600 for special needs, such as visually impaired people, but that is quite uncommon today. I would not size my window down to that, though, not to have it look terribly small on current equipment. Maybe should you think about a 800 x 600 window you display when you detect such screen, as a luxury, but it seems hardly mandatory.

I was hoping to gain a bit of extra width, but it now seems advisable to stick with my current size :frowning:
Thanks guys.

For those type applications I use 1000 x 697. this seems to fit quite well all the way down to the 13" non-Retina Macbook Pro, leaving room for standard size menu and dock.

Sasha:

you are talking about the Retina size. The Native resolution is twice that (around). On my 13" retina the resolutions are:

a. Retina 1,280 x 800
b. Native: 2,560 x 1,600

And a screnn shot taken at native resolution is: 3,360 x 2,100 pixels !

Richard: 1,000 x 600 seems to me a good size: it let room for the MenuBar and the Dock if this one is at the monitor’s bottom / room to access the Finder or another application…

Thank you all for the info / advice - I will stick with my 1000 x 600.