OS X install locations?

Hi,
if I create an OS X app which uses a database file, a couple of text files (all of which get written to), and the Libs folder - can they all be installed to the OS X Applications folder?

Or, is it the same as on Windows, whereby the app and the Libs folder go into 1 directory, and any other database or text files go into another?

Thank you.

[quote=81126:@Richard Summers]Hi,
if I create an OS X app which uses a database file, a couple of text files (all of which get written to), and the Libs folder - can they all be installed to the OS X Applications folder?

Or, is it the same as on Windows, whereby the app and the Libs folder go into 1 directory, and any other database or text files go into another?[/quote]

FolderItem = SpecialFolder.ApplicationData.child(“myAppFolder”)

Michel’s response is cross-platform so will work for you.

Have a look at the on-line help for SpecialFolder, it describes the physical location for each platform.

Help here: http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/SpecialFolder

Thanks,
so basically it is the same as advised for Windows.

I just wasnt sure if you could write to files in the Applications directory.

[quote=81197:@Richard Summers]Thanks,
so basically it is the same as advised for Windows.

I just wasnt sure if you could write to files in the Applications directory.[/quote]

Windows will let you read in the Applications directory, but Mac OS X will definitely NOT let you write anything there.

Use the FolderItem I gave you and replace myAppFolder by any folder name of your convenience, and you will be fine.

Don’t forget to create the folder first, then you can copy all your files in there.

There is no convenient way to create an installer for Mac OS X, the best way is to add the files to the project, and on first run create the subdirectory for your files and use FolderItem.CopyFileto() to copy them from the bundle.

Thank you very much Michel.