Oracle instant client 32bit

Does anyone use Oracle instant client(32bit) as a client library to connect to remote Oracle database?
In my understanding is that Xojo needs 32bit Oracle client library.

With Oracle Enterprise Edition(32bit), no problem to connect to the database, but I’m not sure how I can use Oracle instant client library.
Even though I set ORACLE_HOME/PATH environment variables, Xojo just says that below.
I think it is driven from Oracle dbms plugin used by Xojo.

“Error connecting to database: Some Oracle symbols are not found. Look in the console for more information. 2000”

I’m having the same problem. If anybody knows anything, that would be great.

I found this thread, but it didn’t solve the problem for me. https://forum.xojo.com/5587-oracle-connection/0#p39701

I’ve created environment variable and I put the Oracle instant client file path as the variable value, when creating the environment variable. I’m having trouble linking the code to the environment variable. Is that all I need to do to make it work? Still new to Xojo and I’m new to this level of coding.

So how can I connect my environment variable to this code?

mDb = New OracleDatabase

mDb.DatabaseName = “(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.0.1.14)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=XE)))”
mDb.UserName = “SYSTEM”
mDb.Password = “dbexample”
mDB.Debug = 1

If mDb.Connect Then
mIsConnected = True
ConnectStatusLabel.Text = “Connected to Oracle!”
Else
mIsConnected = False
ConnectStatusLabel.Text = "Error connecting to Oracle: " + mDb.ErrorMessage
End If

Thanks!

Is this the one you’re looking for?

Get the value of the HOME environment variable:
Dim s As String
s = System.EnvironmentVariable("HOME")

MsgBox(s)

Set the value of the HOME environment variable:
System.EnvironmentVariable("HOME") = "/Users/username"

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/System.EnvironmentVariable

If you got a success, please let me know how to use Oracle instant client in Xojo.

Did you Check MBS SQL Plugin and the example projects included?

That could be an alternative.

If you are still unable to connect to your Oracle instance refer to this post where the Oracle connection is nicely dissected regarding what is needed and how to connect.

This works good for me (and on multiple machines -OSX)

Also,
Create a new environment variable TNS_ADMIN, with the value set to the Oracle Instant Client directory

[quote=190432:@changwon lee]Does anyone use Oracle instant client(32bit) as a client library to connect to remote Oracle database?
In my understanding is that Xojo needs 32bit Oracle client library.

With Oracle Enterprise Edition(32bit), no problem to connect to the database, but I’m not sure how I can use Oracle instant client library.
Even though I set ORACLE_HOME/PATH environment variables, Xojo just says that below.
I think it is driven from Oracle dbms plugin used by Xojo.

“Error connecting to database: Some Oracle symbols are not found. Look in the console for more information. 2000”[/quote]

You did not specify the platform you are on, so specific things to test are a little difficult to provide back to you.

However, the error message you are getting tells you that some of the Oracle Dynamic libraries (MacOS) or Shared Libraries (Linux) are not being found. Depending upon whether you are getting the error when you try to run the linked program, or when you try to link the program, there are a few things to look at.

Under Linux, this is almost always either not having the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set correctly, or not having told the kernel where to find the shared libraries using the ldconfig utility.

Under MacOS, it usually means you either didn’t set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly, or didn’t symlink or copy the main oracle library to the standard Oracle name.

-Paul

Not sure if this applies here or not.
But did the Oracle database itself recently get upgraded to Oracle 12C?

We just did that on a few hundred servers where I work, and did experience similar problems with VB.NET apps. Unfortunately I am not in that area, so I don’t know what the exact fix was