Omegabundle for Xojo 2013: Valentina for Xojo Updated to 5.4

Imma go out on a limb here, but it’s a fair bet that at least one person in your life has “rules” which are not completely enumerated but that if you violate, you are in a world of hurt. There’s actually some power in that. There are people here giving their time to help you out. If you simply recognize that they don’t have to do that, unwritten rules shouldn’t be a problem.

It is their party. They’ve clearly set their expectations. Some, like you, openly defy those expectations like it’s your right to. The noble thing to do if you don’t like the house rules would be to start your own house and make your own rules. Not that you’d attract people who can help you, but hey, your loss. For a completely NSFW take on how people who don’t use their real names look on this board, search YouTube for “Carl in Rosemead”. I don’t think there’s a more fitting description of just how tacky the fake names are. NSFW, so if you’re easily offended, just take my word for it. Zero respect for having no consideration for your hosts or the other guests who generally comply with the host’s very reasonable requests.

LOL - I would just like to point out that ‘Carl in Rosemead’ has absolutely nothing to do with me and I am hoping for the sake of all other ‘Carls’ in the world that his real name is not even Carl - very funny and appropriate though.

We can either be decent people or not. Having our real name out there IMO encourages us to be decent to our own rules (morals?) However looking at some of the posts here I do believe that the rule of “would I say this to his/her face?” isn’t being applied by some of us.

As I said - a toxic environment - full of zealots and refusing to allow (paying customers) their view. AND Yes Mr Hutchings we do ship xojo software though not in future though we have to support what is out there unfortunately (hence reading the boards and keeping abreast) but that will change and you’ll have one less xojo (ex-)customer to insult and drive away. I’m pleased to be on your zero respect list - so don’t have to bother with your diatribe.

This is the most useful and most friendly forum I’m a part of. Maybe you don’t realise, but the vast majority of people who post are just fellow developers, helping people out in their free time (like Mr Hutchings who you cite). I do think there is a strong correlation between the people using their real names/real photos and their civility. I’ve been using Xojo for a very long time and I still learn bits and pieces from people on here who are smarter than me.

Perhaps the original message should have been sent to Xojo for the Announcements channel. And perhaps, sadly, this thread should be dumped in Off-Topic now.

I’m off to get some work done in Xojo now :slight_smile:

You’re allowed your view. I’ve done nothing to restrain your speech. But I don’t have to take you seriously either. Unfortunately, you have lumped yourself in with someone (Tony) who engages in ■■■■ behavior, apparently because there’s some principle you’re standing up for that’s more important than not being part of the ■■■■ club. That’s your doing, not mine.

One way I know Tony wouldn’t engage in such childish behavior if he put his real name on his posts is that if he pulled that stunt above with me, I’d have a phone conversation with his employer, legal guardian, or parole officer.

[quote=29856:@Gavin Smith]Perhaps the original message should have been sent to Xojo for the Announcements channel.
[/quote]

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the placement of this posting. We don’t suggest that everyone who announces an update to their “open source” project go through the announcements channel. The original post was important to lots of people considering Omegabundle. It shouldn’t be clowned by an anonymous ■■■■. That is the issue here.

CRACK!!! Of all the posters on these forums, I would say that you, more so than any other by a long shot, have a problem with unwritten rules and how to deal with people in a polite manner. You I don’t need as a life coach.

Go back and re-read the posts. I’m not having problems following any rules written or unwritten. I merely stated that some people would prefer to not to post with their real names. That’s all I said. Norman is the one that dragged out all this ‘we set the rules….follow the rules….see rule 1….then rule 2….’ condescending nonsense. Then when I ask to see “the rules” that HE is bringing up out of the blue, he has the nerve to try to pass of the privacy policy and an FAQ in the older forum as “the rules”, because he know he got his hand caught in the cookie jar. That’s bush league. If he is going to talk to me like this for no reason, I at least want to see these rules he is yapping about.

95% of the arguments on these forums aren’t started by anonymous posters with made up handles. It’s know-it-alls that don’t know how to get their point across without being a smart ■■■.

@Brad Hutchings - I’m afraid you’re the one behaving “jerk like” not I. As for resorting to phoning employers etc - get a life and stop criticizing anyone that’s not in full agreement your point of view.

The problem with taking a passive aggressive stand on this is that you basically ask us to assume that you’re too stupid to figure it out without it being spelled out for you. I don’t think you’re that stupid. I think you disagree with the request and are just being difficult about it. You’re not going to get the old forums back, and you’re not going to magically get respect from people who think the fake names are juvenile in a bad way.

Let me offer you a hint. You have a clear example above in Tony’s post of why the request to use real names was made. If you really value the anonymity that they continue to graciously grant many here (despite the request), you’d be in the front of the lynch mob who want Tony’s ■■■■ booted. You’re anonymity on this board is, after all, at their whim. It’s not a subject of law or contract or even gentleman’s agreement. Calling Norman out for not being explicit probably doesn’t help your case much.

Sorry, folks. Gotta lock this one.