Notebook, WIndows 8, size of window

I started to work with Xojo a few weeks ago and being pleased, how fast you can achieve a result.
The software I have to develope is to run on OSX and Windows. This was the reason I chose XOJO.

As I am working still on Windows 7, I wanted to step forward to Windows 8.1. I bought a Notebook wit a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and was very surpriced when I realised, that windows with a size of 1200 x 800 were not able to be displayed. Parts of the windows are truncated.

I returned the notebook and wrot a little app, which lets me choose the size of the window, and this happened on all notebooks. Some sort of resizing is taking place.
Has anybody a solution for this?

Even if the screen can go up to 1920 x 1080 does not mean your screen is set at that resolution.

Looks as if Windows screen resolution is less than 1200 x 800. Go into the Display Control Panel, click “set the resolution” on the left hand side of the window, and verify it is actually 1920 x 1080.

I have done this. I have checked it out on several notebooks. Always the same.

I haven’t had the opportunity to check it out on a standard PC, only on notebooks and I am not familiar with Windows 8.
At the moment I a am at a loss.

I found also some complaints in Internet about other user. There is a field: “Keep skaling of monitor” where there is no choice. It just shows (in German) : “Displayskalierung beibehalten”

Oh I found an article, which is interesting:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/03/21/scaling-to-different-screens.aspx

Especially this Passus is interesting:

“This graphic shows a sample of the diversity of common wide-screen aspect ratios and screen sizes that Windows 8 can run on. Windows will support just about any screen dimension so long as the graphics driver and hardware combination provide the correct information to Windows. In addition, some screens will scale to different aspect ratios via cropping and/or stretching. And although we indicate slate or laptop in the diagram below, please keep in mind that these are “fuzzy” boundaries that are getting more fuzzy all the time.”

You have to provide the cooroect information to Windows:

It seems to me, that Xojo Isn’t doing this!

The article you cite has nothing to do with the way applications generate windows of a certain size.

I have been developing in RealBasic now Xojo since 2002, went through all the screen resolutions that Windows supported, and never observed a change between the design in the IDE and what is ultimately displayed on run. I tried to set a window to 1200 x 800 on a 1920 x 1080 screen and it is definitely the right size, smaller than the screen.

There must be something else happening in your code. Try with an empty project.

i tried with an empty project, there was only this window with two textfields, where I could alter the size of the window.

Did you try it on a Notebook or a stand - PC?

can I send you this small programm anywhere, so that you can see what I mean?

And just to mention it again, it runs on my computer without any problem under Windows 7 and also on a small notebook with windows 7.

It got only 41 kB

Robert, I converted a Lenovo T500 to a Windows 8.1 test machine. It has 1920 X 1080 screen. (I also have virtual machines running 8, 8.1 but I think that a laptop is specifically what you are referring to in this thread). I can run a test with your test app if you wish.

[quote=85816:@Robert Blazek]i tried with an empty project, there was only this window with two textfields, where I could alter the size of the window.

Did you try it on a Notebook or a stand - PC?[/quote]

I did not get that this did not manifest under Win 7.

I tried with Windows 8.1 on a desktop PC. You may want to ask Louis for a test on a laptop.

Louis, this would be nice, how can I send the App? its only 41kB

I will give you an email address privately

After spending some hours to make Windows-Updates and looking around the system, what could be altered, I tried out the size of the text, which was put to 150% (obviously it was standard, becaus the text is really small on an 13"" display with 1920x1080 !).
So instead of 150% I chose 125% and now there are only a few pixels missing on the bottom.

Thanks for listening