Note to self..

Note to self: Next year, don’t release a new version just before Xmas, despite having no reported bugs from beta testers.

#Whoneedsadayoffanyway?

Me 2. I have even been granted an expedited review! After Xmas… :wink:

And I got bitten by this, too, for after Christmas. Data that was already regarded as UTF8 is now UTF16 in Valentina and gave me lovely chinese characters. Which I noticed after releasing my software.

???

Could you elaborate?

Same goes with releasing on a Friday afternoon. Almost always a bad idea unless you want to work over the weekend. Usually happens when I have the least amount of time to devote to working on bugs too.

@Markus: my app mostly writes UTF8 data to Valentina. But some string have a Nil encoding. In Valentina 5.8 this worked okay. In 6.2 the Nil encoded strings are interpreted as UTF16 resulting in nice chinese characters.

@Bob: the Friday release is a tradition.

Tuesdays
Not Monday morning - no ones quite recovered from the weekend
Not Friday - no one wants to work all weekend (whether they do or not is a different question)
And this way you have a couple days during “normal office hours” to deal with bugs issues etc before the weekend hits

Next note to self: don’t email all your users about a new version of the software and expect your site to continue working during the next 24 hours…
:frowning:

[quote=238194:@Jeff Tullin]Next note to self: don’t email all your users about a new version of the software and expect your site to continue working during the next 24 hours…
:([/quote]
You should try CloudFlare, it’s even got a free level :slight_smile:

Speaking of Tuesday releases, this Tuesday is my birthday (and I have some cool stuff to share :wink: )

Twitter ? really ? ick :stuck_out_tongue:

sadly too much of twitter is “Hey I farted !”

[quote=238200:@Norman Palardy]Twitter ? really ? ick :stuck_out_tongue:

sadly too much of twitter is “Hey I farted !”[/quote]

OTOH; it could be even worse (read: Facebook)

Or LinkedIn.

I avoid 99.9% of “social media” as its really “another way to get you to give us all kinds of info s owe can sell advertisers your info”
I need more advertiser spam like I need another hole in my head :slight_smile:

edit: concurring replies make me believe I’m not wrong :slight_smile:

a $15 a year “social media” service that will NEVER sell my info to an advertiser would be something I’d pay for
however no VC would fund such a thing because the revenue opportunities for it would be capped by the # of users at least initially
now IF you could also tack on extra services like photo sharing, off site back up etc etc etc - stuff all these other guys already do - and STILL NEVER sell user info to advertisers … that might be attractive to enough people

Never be ill on Fridays too (nor in Mondays…).

Always commit a big, potentially breaking, refactoring or feature before taking a three-week long vacation. That way your coworkers will fix the bugs and you get a vacation ;).

“Write Defensive Code” = Check into source control using someone else’s login.