Notarizing with DMG Canvas

I was wondering if anyone is using DMG Canvas for notarizing their dmg bundle. I am able to code sign the bundle, but during the notarization process an error occurs.

[quote]Uploading for notarization failed.

Error Code -22016. We are unable to create an authentication session.[/quote]

I code signed the actual app with APP Wrapper, and created the DMG with DMG Canvas. It will code sign the dmg, but throws the error when it attempts to notarize.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this is happening.

Are you using version 3.0.6? And have you set up the Notarization credentials in preferences? One thing that took me a while to figure out that since I’m on multiple Apple Developer accounts. I had to fill in my ASC Provider info which isn’t straightforward or easy to get. I had to use a command line command to get the ‘short name’. I don’t have that command handy but I can probably find it if you don’t have it.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me. I read your article (link below) to get the ASC short name which seems to be just bunch of numbers and letters.

link text

I do have Version 3.0.6. I created an Application Specific password and entered my Apple ID. I have the same information in App Wrapper and it notarizes the app fine. I just can’t get the bundle to notarize in DMG Canvas. The log error is shown below.

=== Notarizing…
=== Uploading the disk image for notarization…
/usr/bin/xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id knightlite_pa3_dmg -u code3@knightlite.com --asc-provider 66PTB3NQ6A -f /Users/catalina/Documents/Bin/Code 4/Installations/PMP3/PMP3_Code4.dmg --output-format xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> os-version 10.15.0 product-errors code -22016 message We are unable to create an authentication session. userInfo NSLocalizedDescription We are unable to create an authentication session. NSLocalizedFailureReason Unable to validate your application. tool-path /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/ContentDeliveryServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AppStoreService.framework tool-version 4.00.1181

Uploading for notarization failed.
Error code -22016. We are unable to create an authentication session.

I’ve had issues recently too so maybe contact DMG Canvas support?

FWIW, you can notarize the DMG through AppWrapper. Drag it into he Notarization window, select it, set the appropriate developer info and version information and hit Send to Apple.

Any chance you have some expired root certificates in your keychain app?

FWIW: I use App Wrapper to notarize my .dmg files, and it works fine.

Thanks so much Ben. That worked great. I just dragged the dmg to the notarization window put in the info it wanted and sent it to Apple. Five minutes later I received the message that the app was ready for deployment. Thanks so much for helping me. You cut through a lot of frustration.

[quote=461090:@Kimball Larsen]Any chance you have some expired root certificates in your keychain app?

FWIW: I use App Wrapper to notarize my .dmg files, and it works fine.[/quote]

Thanks Kimball,

I actually have one certificate for the App Store expired, but since App Wrapper was correctly notarizing the app and now the DMG, I did not want to start messing with the certificates. Thanks for your help.

Who is Ben?

Sorry Bob. I feel like the stupidest person walking on two feet. I don’t know where the heck I got Ben. It’s not like there were any clues on the screen or anything like that. I have been reading your work online for years, and you have helped me out on more than one occasion here. Sorry about the name. Not thinking too great today.

Thanks again… BOB. :slight_smile:

I use AppWrapper, had the same authentication session “We are unable to create an authentication session” message. What got it going for me was either downgrading from Xcode 11 to Xcode 10, or getting another app-specific password - not sure which was the magic sauce, but things are now moving smoothly.