Non-Exempt Encryption and MBS

I was just reading this page:

specifically this passage:

Add the ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption key to your app’s Info.plist file with a Boolean value that indicates whether your app uses encryption. Set the value to NO if your app—including any third-party libraries it links against—doesn’t use encryption, or if it only uses forms of encryption that are exempt from export compliance documentation requirements. Otherwise, set it to YES .

Anyone know what the implications are for 3rd party plugins which require registration at runtime to use them?

Does the example method recommended by MBS, or Plugins Pro, to obfuscate their serial number qualify as “encryption”?

That’s what I’m getting at. Registration mechanisms often use cryptography, but the details of their implementation are usually closely guarded secrets, so you can’t just “ask” what the developer uses to protect their product.

Honestly, this is just a curiosity for me.

no. The sample project just encodes the key, so someone can’t just copy & paste it from the binary.

For our license keys, we use ECDSA_verify to check them. That is an implementation detail to validate the signature and should not matter to you.

For our plugins, it depends on what you use. e.g. if you use our encryption classes, you may need to declare that and check with these export relations.