Newbie resource idea

I like my province very much. Me thinks that if a beginner can’t read code and understand that snippets are to be modified to work for his/her application, then programming is probably not for them. If all you have to do to learn how to program is copy and paste from different libraries then even a monkey could do it. I do not subscribe to that view of the world.

[quote=79776:@LangueR]Me thinks that if a beginner can’t read code and understand that snippets are to be modified to work for his/her application/quote]
That is a rather insiduos way of justifying buggy code. Put the blame on the one receiving the buggy code, not the one writing it.

I do not subscribe to that view of the World.

While I agree with Markus that all code should be as bug free as possible I would hate to see Dave stop sharing due to negative feedback. I have yet to post a snippet here that has not been improved upon by other members.

Maybe, instead of commenting on a small world view a “corrected” snippet would be more positive feedback.

Ok,
here is my view on this disagreement:

I am always grateful whenever anyone provides example code - because that is how I personally learn things.

I look at the code, and can then usually work out what each segment or line of code is performing.
If someone just tells you what to do - it still doesn’t make sense if you are a beginner, because you often have no idea how to do what you are being advised.

Therefore - for me personally - I learn by example, not by instruction.
It is for this very reason that I would never complain if example code which was kindly provided, was US centric. I would simply try to work out which parts were US specific and then try to adapt it.

I can understand why a lot of non-US members sometimes get frustrated when lots of things are US centric - but that is just the way it is. People will obviously always tailor things to their particular country.

I also wouldn’t under any stretch of the imagination call Dave’s code buggy. It is simply US centric due to him living and working in the US. If he was Australian, some of his snippets would be Australia centric.

My code snippets are ofter UK centric - as I live in London, England.
If I put “£” in some of my code - it doesn’t make it buggy - it makes it tailored to MY particular requirements.
If you live in the US, simply exchange “£” for “$”.

Dave did also state that his phone number formatting was in US format - so it can’t be construed as buggy (as it performs the function he needs it to). It is simply not suitable (without a little modification) for use outside of the US.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Whoops - I meant “Just my 2 pence worth” :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Brad,

I hope you know that Xojo inc would likely be hurting financially if it only had “pro” users. And basically your comments confirms my worst fears about the effects of the existence of a “pro only” channel. IMO your attitude hurts the community as whole more than any of the the things you see as problems.

Yet several OP here just come to ask for others to create code for them, apparently expecting to have everything done without spending any effort understanding what was done. I am not going to say names, but they are easy to see :confused:

[quote=79800:@Karen Atkocius]Brad,

I hope you know that Xojo inc would likely be hurting financially if it only had “pro” users. And basically your comments confirms my worst fears about the effects of the existence of a “pro only” channel. IMO your attitude hurts the community as whole more than any of the the things you see as problems.[/quote]
I couldn’t agree more Karen. What an odd thing to post Brad??? Let’s hope you are the only pro user with such an attitude

Michel,
Hope you were not referring to me in your last post.

I ALWAYS try to solve problems myself (often spending days on the same problem), and only occasionally ask for example code if I have tried everything and I have absolutely no chance of getting it right.

I often ask lots of questions, such as “How do I loop through a LIstBox and check for empty columns” etc - but that is different to wanting code handed to me on a plate, with no effort in understanding it. And, any code kindly provided to me is studied (often for hours), until I finally understand what the code is doing and how it works.

If you were not referring to me - then please ignore this post :slight_smile:

Haven’t really read too much of the arguments here because they seemed like personal gripes.
I came to suggest an idea I had while working at 2am this morning.

It’d be really cool if there was a newbie resource that had the Xojo equivalents for common things in other languages. I think funny that way, but last night I was searching for the Xojo equiv of NSLog, and a few days ago I stumbled across (and saved!) a snippet that is the equiv of php’s str_reverse() (wondering myself why that’s not part of XojoScript)

I think it’d be a really great tool, I just don’t have enough of the answers to make it myself. If anyone wants to help I will be happy to back the entire thing (fund domain name, hosting, and do the web dev.) Any helpful takers? :slight_smile:

Sounds like an excellent idea Tim!
I am also working on an idea for newbies - maybe we could combine the 2?

Send me a private message with any details, ideas and we can look into it.

Karen and Mike, please grow a sense of humor.

Brad - as I’m sure you’re aware, on forums it’s sometimes difficult to tell when people are kidding (hence the use/overuse of smilies). Your post did not come across as joking…

And was consistent with things he has said in the past to that effect IIRC.

[quote=79847:@Bill Gookin]Brad - as I’m sure you’re aware, on forums it’s sometimes difficult to tell when people are kidding (hence the use/overuse of smilies). Your post did not come across as joking…
[/quote]

You’ve inadvertently stumbled on a great solution for Dave, you know, the guy who posted code and got blasted for it. Dave, sprinkle smilies in your source code.

Please lock this thread before Karen hurts someones feelings.

:slight_smile: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Dave - you sprinkled the smilies, but forgot to add the code!

I did add code… (between the smileys), but did so in such a manner as to not appear to be “buggy”…

Brad is an “acquired taste”. Once you get past the SoCal aura and just take in what he says, there’s a ton of great information in his posts. I do see where newer users might take offense at the tone of some of the posts (myself included in the past), a thick skin is sometimes required here, I think.

So… do I too exude this “SoCal aura” seeing as I am more South in Southern California than Brad is? :slight_smile:

Dave - it is definitely buggy - I just pasted it into my project and NOTHING HAPPENED! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: