New DateTimePicker at Xojo2020r2

Hi, recently downloaded XOJO2020r2, I want to test the new DateTimePicker in desktop mode.

I have the next code in a button object:

Var myDate As DateTime
myDate = DTP1.SelectedDate //DTP1 DateTimePicker Object Name
MessageBox(myDate.ToString)

But it always shows today’s date, what am I doing wrong?

Yes, this duplicated what was discussed already in this thread.

As I told there, you can rely (as a workaround) in implementing the DateChanged event on the own DateTimePicker instance.

In fact, that would make sense because you (typically) would want to get the date/time selected by the user… so receiving the DateTime in the event handler does it already.

1 Like

Gracias Javier, un saludo…

1 Like

Uhhh… why is the height of the DateTimePicker 32 pixels as the standard height is 22? Shrinking the field kills the border.

2 Likes

Hi @Alexander_van_der_Linden

It has that height because it is the height of the native control under Windows.

I see. It looks strangely out of place when put on a standard form.

3 Likes

[quote=“Javier_Menendez, post:5, topic:59154”]
It has that height because it is the height of the native control under Windows.[/quote]

You keep saying that.
What I see when firing up Visual Studio: Textbox, DateTimePicker, Combobox/PopupMenu - they all look the same in Height:

DateTimePicker_VisualStudio

That’s why I think the current implementation by Xojo is close to useless for TargetWindows: <https://xojo.com/issue/62756>

4 Likes

I guess that is using .Net and Windows forms?

Right… and since you’re asking I guess that’s a big difference :wink:

I’m not quite familiar with c++ and win32. But in case you have got an visual studio example project, why not add it to the Feedback so that others can give it a try to see if there is a chance to get the datetime-control in a more comfortable height.

Windows Forms is just thin wrapper on Win32, calling them by declares. (You can even check the source code)

1 Like

What are you using to see a height of 32px?

That is NOT true as others have said. But either way, why this control can’t be resized to match the “native height” of the other controls?

Yeap, not being able to resize it is because a BAD implementation, not a restriction in Windows:
In this image, I just edit the properties of the control at run time, so IT IS PERFECTLY POSIBLE to have a decent looking native control.

I know, Xojo don’t like new features to be called half baked but:

• Default size not the same as the other controls in the IDE
  • Resizing the Xojo control don’t resize the native one
  • That double border really looks Awfull
  • The representation on the IDE don’t reflect the options selected on the inspector
  • The most important function SelectedDate is not even working

It is not you, as the las point in the list, SelectedDate is not working. In what OS are you testing? In windows allways returns Nil :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

I (typically) try to set a default value so the user can leave it like that…

So you are saying that in order to use the control, it just needs to:

• Add a new property to the window
  • Set the value of this global property on the DateChanged
  • Use that when you need the value of the control

What if the user leaves the default value? (Most of the cases actually)

I suppose this is in VS? If I change properties at runtime I get the crappy border.2020-11-25 08_32_18-Window

How did you do that? Maybe add the example to <https://xojo.com/issue/62756> so that Xojo can look at it?

Anyway… just another quick and dirty test: I’ve dug out the old WFS and guess what…:

This could most likely be done even better. Like I said, just a quick test.
I’ve added that to the Feedback case, too. This at least looks better, and is done in “pure Xojo”.

2 Likes

This was in Xojo, using the new xojo date picker. You can edit the properties in run time with apps like spy++ or Window Detective. I only changed the height of the native control to 22px and disable its border.

https://windowdetective.sourceforge.io/

Looking at the structure of the control (using those same aps), it looks like they are nesting the native control in a canvas like container, making both controls have a border, so, disabling the border of the native control, it looks better, just one border.

BUT I would prefer the other way around, to leave the border of the native control. Maybe the border of the canvas is drawn by hand (with a hadcoded height of 22px) :man_facepalming:t2:

Not only looks better, it actually works. Really a shame that a control could make it in this crappy shape to a “final” release. :frowning_face:

1 Like

The only 32 pixel high date time control I can find is the one for UWP, e.g. add a new event on the windows 10 Calendar app, and that certainly isn’t win32

Ah, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Let’s be gentle. It’s a welcome first sneak peak. It’s always the same story it seems… new features need a couple of releases until they are usable. It always seems Xojo is working on macOS only, so finetuning for Windows/Linux gets missed/overlooked. All I hope is that that is going to change…

Meanwhile… Let’s put our feedback in the appropriate place, so that it doesn’t take a couple of next releases, but just one until that Control is useable on Windows, too.

2 Likes

This is about the closest size I can find of a really old example, but this is 30 pixels not 32.

Was this image (from here) used as a reference image for a new windows control and actually measured incorrectly?

Not to mention that this is a functional example of the control and isn’t anywhere near the layout guidelines https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/win32/uxguide/vis-layout?redirectedfrom=MSDN#sizingandspacing

Is this actually how seriously Xojo takes windows development?

I don’t wish to sound ungrateful, as I’ve been waiting for a long time for such a control, but I was so disappointed by this implementation. Not only is the control a non-standard size, but you have no font/size control so if your interface uses Small System font, every DateTimePicker will look horribly out of place.

But my biggest complaint, by far, is the fact that the control is not what a user would expect from a date/time picker. When have we ever used increment/decrement buttons on a date or time field? This is horrible UX design and I can’t believe that this made it into a release version of Xojo.

When the user clicks on the field, a visual representation should drop down to allow them to select a different value… and this should change the .Value of the control.

This was such a necessary and simple feature but this implementation completely misses the mark. :frowning:

2 Likes