mySQLCommunityServer

I am trying to build an old REALBasic project with Xojo. I’m getting the following error:

Can’t find a type with this name
db_MyDB = new mySQLCommunityServer

This type still appears in the Xojo documentation.

[quote=496112:@Cindy Couling]I am trying to build an old REALBasic project with Xojo. I’m getting the following error:

Can’t find a type with this name
db_MyDB = new mySQLCommunityServer

This type still appears in the Xojo documentation.[/quote]
Check your plugins folder. You might need to copy the plugin from one of the other Xojo folders.

I don’t know what this means. What are plugins folders?

Please create a new project and in the App.Open event handler add

Dim db_MyDB As New MySQLCommunityServer

Then analyse the project. Does it give that error? This will determine if your Xojo installation is faulty or something in the old RB project that’s causing the issue.

Welcome Cindy,

To help you better, can you let us know whether you’re building on macOS or Windows?

I’m not as familiar with the older REALBasic versions of Xojo as others in this forum, but generally your “Plugins” folder should be located next to the executable for REALBasic or Xojo.

For macOS, try looking in the ~/Applications/REALBase x.x/Plugins folder.
For Windows, try C:\\Program Files\\REALBasic\\x.x\\Plugins

Basically to enable access to databases (other than SQLite), you’ll need either one of the standard Plugins that comes with your REALBasic/Xojo version or a 3rd party Plugin.

Plugins give you extra functionality and features, in addition to what comes built-in with the IDE. And they have to placed in the above specific folder for the IDE (for the given version) to enable and use it.

Note: If you place a plugin in the correct folder, you’ll need to restart the IDE for the plugin to work properly (if the IDE is already running).

If you’ve inherited your REALBasic project from someone, and you don’t have any plugin files, maybe contact hello@xojo.com with your license information and they could potentially get you a copy of the full installer (with plugins) appropriate for your license, from their archive.

I hope that helps.

I tried this, and I get exactly the same error in my new project.

[quote=496138:@Scott Cadillac]Welcome Cindy,

To help you better, can you let us know whether you’re building on macOS or Windows?

I’m not as familiar with the older REALBasic versions of Xojo as others in this forum, but generally your “Plugins” folder should be located next to the executable for REALBasic or Xojo.

For macOS, try looking in the ~/Applications/REALBase x.x/Plugins folder.
For Windows, try C:\\Program Files\\REALBasic\\x.x\\Plugins

Basically to enable access to databases (other than SQLite), you’ll need either one of the standard Plugins that comes with your REALBasic/Xojo version or a 3rd party Plugin.

Plugins give you extra functionality and features, in addition to what comes built-in with the IDE. And they have to placed in the above specific folder for the IDE (for the given version) to enable and use it.

Note: If you place a plugin in the correct folder, you’ll need to restart the IDE for the plugin to work properly (if the IDE is already running).

If you’ve inherited your REALBasic project from someone, and you don’t have any plugin files, maybe contact hello@xojo.com with your license information and they could potentially get you a copy of the full installer (with plugins) appropriate for your license, from their archive.

I hope that helps.[/quote]

I am running on MacOS.

I looked in the Xojo 2019 Release 3.1 folder. Inside, there is a folder called Plugins, and inside that the is a folder called MySQLCommunityPlugin.xojo_plugin

That’s a promising start.

When you have the Xojo IDE running, click on the Xojo menu in the top menubar, then click on “About Xojo”. This will open a dialog with 4 buttons across the bottom. Click on “Loaded Plugins” and confirm that the MySQL plugin is in your list.

If the plugin is in your list of loaded plugins, then I guess either please post more of your code (minus anything sensitive like your db password, etc.) for someone to potentially give suggestions, or try replicating the example in the MySQLCommunityServer documentation.

Note: although the database referred to in the documentation may not exist, you should be able to at least do an initial Build or run “Analyze Project” (cmd+K) without errors.

If the plugin is not in your list of loaded plugins, it’s possible you either have more than one version of Xojo installed on your Mac and you’re not running the correct one, or the Plugin folder and/or files are maybe not readable by the IDE for some reason. I guess also check that your Xojo license permits using the Database plugins (not a “Lite” or “iOS” license).

I hope some of that helps.

[quote=496293:@Scott Cadillac]That’s a promising start.

When you have the Xojo IDE running, click on the Xojo menu in the top menubar, then click on “About Xojo”. This will open a dialog with 4 buttons across the bottom. Click on “Loaded Plugins” and confirm that the MySQL plugin is in your list.

If the plugin is in your list of loaded plugins, then I guess either please post more of your code (minus anything sensitive like your db password, etc.) for someone to potentially give suggestions, or try replicating the example in the MySQLCommunityServer documentation.

Note: although the database referred to in the documentation may not exist, you should be able to at least do an initial Build or run “Analyze Project” (cmd+K) without errors.

If the plugin is not in your list of loaded plugins, it’s possible you either have more than one version of Xojo installed on your Mac and you’re not running the correct one, or the Plugin folder and/or files are maybe not readable by the IDE for some reason. I guess also check that your Xojo license permits using the Database plugins (not a “Lite” or “iOS” license).

I hope some of that helps.[/quote]
It could also be that Xojo is being translocated which would prevent it from seeing the plugins folder.

[quote=496293:@Scott Cadillac]That’s a promising start.

[/quote]

Hi Scott,

When I select the “Loaded Plugins” tab I get a blank window - apparently NOTHING is loaded. There is a Plugins folder inside the Xojo 2019 Release 3.1 folder, and I can see five different plugins, including MySQLCommunityPlugin.xojo_plugin

Xojo is only installed in one place, and I have a Desktop license, running on MacOS

I’m not sure what you mean by “translocated.” It’s installed in the system Applications folder, which is the default location for apps on MacOS.

In summary, translocated is a macOS security feature that will cause the application you launch to run from a different (temporary) location. When this occurs the application can no longer see anything else that is in the original location.
The fact that you seem to have no plugins makes me think this is the problem.

One way to check this is via the Activity Monitor app. If you find the Xojo process in the list and view its open files & ports (one of the options in Activity Monitor) the Xojo.app might be listed as being in the path: /var/xxxxxx/Xojo.app rather than: /Applications/Xojo 2019r3.1/Xojo.app

Fixing the problem involves quitting Xojo and running a command in Terminal (i’ve assumed the path to Xojo but you would need to check it):

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Xojo 2019r3.1/Xojo.app"

[quote=496376:@Kevin Gale]In summary, translocated is a macOS security feature that will cause the application you launch to run from a different (temporary) location. When this occurs the application can no longer see anything else that is in the original location.
The fact that you seem to have no plugins makes me think this is the problem.

One way to check this is via the Activity Monitor app. If you find the Xojo process in the list and view its open files & ports (one of the options in Activity Monitor) the Xojo.app might be listed as being in the path: /var/xxxxxx/Xojo.app rather than: /Applications/Xojo 2019r3.1/Xojo.app

Fixing the problem involves quitting Xojo and running a command in Terminal (i’ve assumed the path to Xojo but you would need to check it):

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Xojo 2019r3.1/Xojo.app"

YES! This turned out to be the problem. I actually resolved this by uninstalling then reinstalling. I don’t know how it got screwed up originally, but that fixed it.

THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! What a great, supportive community.