My Xojo app show off

I know this is maybe not a usual thing to do, but I would like to share a short teaser video of the Xojo app I created during the last 2 years. I started learning Xojo from scratch while developing this app and are very happy to say to it’s now (almost) ready to go into the world, although it would probably be wise to first let it be beta tested!
Please, if it’s not appropriate or allowed to place this short teaser video link here, let me know and I will removed this post:
https://youtu.be/ZyGXksm4huY?si=aXmrqQ8MxkDRfS5I

25 Likes

I really like the video. How did you create the video? I’d add some benefits over other apps.

2 Likes

Inspirational re storytelling and Xojo development. Give the man an Oscar!

2 Likes

I used Camtasia for the video creation (recording the screen and then adding the animation) and I used ElevenLabs to created a spoken recording of my text.

2 Likes

I had not previously heard of ElevenLabs. It works very well in your video. Intriguing company / product that might prove useful to those of use who occasionally try and produce video but suffer from poorly enunciated speech.

1 Like

Yes, like me for example. My narrator voice really isn’t that pleasing to hear :slight_smile: I am creating more shorter videos now the app is beta testing ready. If you would like to have a glimpse, I placed them on the product page here:
https://storycraft-for-writers.com/videos/

We used Camtasia on Window probably 15 years ago.

1 Like

It looks good, the only thing I would say against it is the colour scheme. Black background to the windows looks very harsh in light mode and the white list boxes / text boxes would look bright in dark mode. A lot of people have very strong feelings about you respecting their choice of light / dark mode.

3 Likes

That’s why I added the option to choose between dark and light themes:

What Ian is saying is that when the “Dark” selection is used many of the controls are still in Light mode - which is quite bright (and blinding) for users actually in Dark Mode.

If you can, you should try to support Dark Mode the native way with this switch:

Unrelated: I poked around but couldn’t find a demo download. Keep me in mind if you need a Xojo-code license key system :innocent:

1 Like

I understand, I will have a look at that, thanks for letting me know.

I didn’t create a demo version yet because I still wasn’t able to solve the row dragging problem, but I finally fixed it this morning. So now it’s demo time! I will take a demo soon and post it on my product page. I am in the need for beta writers now :slight_smile:

Turning that on pretty much deals with the colours by itself. Obviously icons and graphics have to be done yourself.

I actually had this all done in my Dark mode Theme, so dark text fields with white text etc, exact as it would be in Dark OS mode. But I got lots of comments from users that they really didn’t like this and honestly, I didn’t like it myself. So OS Dark mode is not something I personally would go for. I like to have control over which app elements change colours.

By all means offer a hybrid option, but I would offer standard dark mode. Some people operate in a dark room and will find all that white super bright.

Thanks, Tim, but I made my own very simple License Manager. Seems to work good, but of course I didn’t had to put it to the test with many users yet :slight_smile:

Looks great, I’d be interested in downloading the demo :slight_smile:

Working on it :slight_smile:

Impressive.

While not a writer, I’d pretend I was to Beta test it.

Cool application! I just ended up open sourcing my first project, then I didn’t have to worry about how good my license key system was or theft. I then added a donate link in my file menu but obviously not an option everyone wants to take.

Any chance there will be a Linux version?

I don’t have any plans for that at the moment, neither for a windows version because I do not have those OS installed or available anywhere. But maybe in time, if there is enough interest it should be easy to create them using Xojo, I assume.

1 Like