My first (other computer) test results in a BIG FAT FAIL!!

First time test run of my software on a different computer and it doesn’t work. When I say it doesn’t work, I mean I can’t even run it to evaluate anything - I know it has nothing to do with Xojo or my code, but likely Windows 8.1

I’ve tried to install some missing OS components, but they wouldn’t even install.

So, the next step. What is the protocol on this forum for asking if other people can test your software? I mean, just to see if it will run on Win 7 to 10, and if successful, a couple of other small tasks?

did you create an install program and include all the framework and runtime dll’s? Just copying the xecutable to the target computer will generally result in a big fat fail. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, installing dependencies manually will not work well either.

When you compile make sure the “Include Windows runtime DLLs” button is on. That way you can have some download and unzip to test rather than running an install.

Yeah, well that’s an issue right there.

I did a lot of reading before building my “test” file. I did read that there was an option to select “Include Windows runtime DLLs”.

I’m running WIN7 Xojo2016R3 and that option is NOT there:

???

The feature to include Windows Runtime DLL during build was introduced from 2016r4.

Since you building x86, you can copy all the 41 Windows Runtime DLLs from:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Xojo\Xojo 2016r3\Extras\Windows Runtime\Files\x86

and paste them together in the same folder as your exe.

Add:
If you are not getting some DLL not found error or something like this, then this may not be the problem.

Thanks Cho,

I haven’t installed R4 for many other reasons. I’ll try the manual install method as you have described.

12:45AM here, and way beyond time to go to bed.

I’ll report back.

Cheers.

I found the DLLs and copied them into the App folder and it works :slight_smile:

I do realise that this is not the preferred method, but from a starting standpoint it’s fine with me - as in just for simple testing on another machine.

Now I just have to work out why the serial ports/usb don’t show in Win8.1 compared to WIN7. Typical of the filthy stinking shice that one must put up with when dealing with WIN8 and beyond.

[quote=319007:@Steve Kelepouris]I found the DLLs and copied them into the App folder and it works :slight_smile:

I do realise that this is not the preferred method, but from a starting standpoint it’s fine with me - as in just for simple testing on another machine.

Now I just have to work out why the serial ports/usb don’t show in Win8.1 compared to WIN7. Typical of the filthy stinking shice that one must put up with when dealing with WIN8 and beyond.[/quote]

@Steve Kelepouris I create an .iss file (Inno Setup file) for creating the installer early on in the app process. Then whenever I add something to the app that needs to be in the .iss (like changing filtypes or adding icons) I just add those to the .iss. This keep my installer in step with my app and makes testing on Windows much easier.

Now many people would argue to not do that until it gets to more of a “beta” phase of the app.

to each his/her own.

Thanks Scott.

Eventually I got things working on another machine. An added complication was setting up and connecting to a custom usb device - which is the main purpose of my software. That part is now working correctly, which for me, is a milestone of sorts.

I assume you’re referring to the installer, Inno Setup. I had a look a that a while back and have marked it as the installer I will use when I get to that stage.

I don’t think I’m there yet, there is still a lot of work to do. My main focus now is File IO operations. No probs opening/saving files, but getting it all working together when installed - SpecialFolder.ApplicationData?

That will be the topic of a new thread in the not too distant future.

For testing I use virtualbox. I’ve got a base set of images of Windows 7 thru 10, a set with the related Office versions, plus a range of Linux environments. When I start a new project I clone the target OS versions from these, add the various software that is needed for the project and anything I might normally expect the user to have installed. And these become the base test images used in testing.

Every time I want to test I simply clone an image, run the tests and toss it. That way I’m always sure I’m starting out from a known point. It is also handy for reproducing client issues etc…

Hhmmmm, thanks James, that’s very interesting.

I had a look at virtualbox. At a glance, it creates a virtual box that encompasses other operating systems, but that’s about as far as I can understand.

I imagine that you have to have a license for all the OS you install? Which is too much of an outlay for a “hobby software developer” like myself.

Microsoft make available free downloads for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 for testing in a VM at this link. There are restrictions (they expire after a certain time, but some can be recharged) but it avoids the need to purchase a licence for each one. Recent versions of macOS have been free upgrades.

So you will only need to purchase a licence for the VM software. I use VMWare Fusion, which is excellent for my needs.

As Richard said. Although I do have an MSDN licence at the moment. You could use some power shell scripts to do the customization after you download. Also Virtualbox is free.

It is a process to set this stuff, but once you have it makes for an easy life.