My approved App Store app doesn't run on High Sierra

My Xojo-made app, Find Any File, shows a “(/)” icon in 10.13 beta 2. I have no idea why. It’s been build in 2015 with some Xojo version available back then, and has not acted up until now. Before I try to build a new version and submit that (which will lead to lots of new issues) I like to figure out what High Sierra finds so objectionable about that version in the MAS - especially since the same version (1.8.9) from my own website, built with the same Xojo version IIRC, runs just fine in 10.13.

Has anyone here found reasons why current Xojo apps in the App Store may not run in 10.13 but run on 10.12? I suspect my app isn’t the only one having this issue now?

the new file system ?

Nope, still HFS+

If you try to launch it, does it say when you cannot?

What happens when you do a build for MAS? Do you get the same behaviour or does the app start?

May it be that it just hasn’t been properly installed?

Edit: Removed an “e” :wink:

It’s showing a standard error msg about the app to be damaged or missing files (not sure of the exact words, can’t rest right now).

I just installed it fresh from the App Store. Maybe it’s just the App Store download operation that’s broken. But I doubt that.

I am not in a position to test this right now.

It’s worth a try :slight_smile:

BTW: With the first Beta of High Sierra, i had a lot of issues regarding the Download and Installation of MAS Apps.
With Beta 2 these issues are nearly entirely gone.

Sascha: What kind of issues? Such as installing an app and it would not run?

Huh - False alarm:

I booted into a 10.12 system and re-installed the app from the Store into its Apps folder. Then I rebooted into 10.13 and was able to launch the 10.12’s download.

Then I checked the version I had downloaded to the 10.13 Apps folder earlier - and now it was running as well! So, it got apparently downloaded property but the system was not “seeing” the complete app until I had rebooted. That’s so messed up. Also, 10.13 keeps my Hard Disk busy (lots of seeking noise) for 5 minutes after each reboot - it’s a clean install, I have not even enabled Siri or iCloud. I can’t say macOS is getting any better, rather the opposite…

Maybe it’s just indexing or updating the index or gathering metadata or or or… who knows…

Uploads weren’t downloading unless i clicked Download or Update a second time. Downloads often did not finish or had the Slash Marker. All this stopped with Beta 2.

I just had 1 App which was not working as intended (a non Xojo made and non-MAS App). But the Dev fixed the issue.

Once in a while, when i play ELITE Dangerous via Remote Play from a PS4Pro, the Finder restarts. But apart from this, i see no real issues. I had much more Trouble with Beta 1… :slight_smile:

I’ve been feeling this way ever since Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Let’s stop the bashing. It’s an evolution as with every new OS on every Platform. And we just have to deal with it i guess. :slight_smile:

#NotMyMacOS

Sorry Sascha, perhaps we should keep the bashing to a minimum, but I don’t think we should stop. I’ve used the correct channels to file 10s of bugs reports and they often go unnoticed. I even wrote a letter to Tim Cook about the problems with the macOS and the uninspiring products… The more places that we Mac users publish our disappointment with Apple, the more likely Apple employees are going to read it and be demoralized, once enough of them get demoralized then hopefully Tim will listen to us.

Edit: Cleaned up and shortened.

[quote=339308:@Sam Rowlands]the more likely Apple employees are going to read it and be demoralized, once enough of them get demoralized then hopefully Tim will listen to us.
[/quote]
Or just mostly withdraw from whatever forums your posting such demoralizing things

I really hope that isn’t the goal

[quote=339325:@Norman Palardy]Or just mostly withdraw from whatever forums your posting such demoralizing things

I really hope that isn’t the goal[/quote]
Of course not.

We have to face the hard reality that Apple has become a phone maker, and no longer a computer designer.

So you missed WWDC2017 then?