Multiple Window Desktop App

Hi All

I have my default window, I want to add buttons onto this which will load up another window but display that window within the default window. I have tried showwithin but the second window is floating.

Thanks

Chris.

Windows ?

Not sure I understand your question!

[quote=201261:@Chris Davis]Hi All

I have my default window, I want to add buttons onto this which will load up another window but display that window within the default window. I have tried showwithin but the second window is floating.[/quote]

If you are using the Microsoft Windows system, you will indeed not get the same result as what happens in Mac OS X.

To get a similar effect, you may want to look into using a ContainerControl.

@Chris Davis have you tried using the PagePanel? You add the PagePanel (PagePanel1) to your window (Window1) and then add an Action event for your Next button (to go to the next page). Put in this code:

PagePanel1.Value = 1

or

Window1.PagePanel1.Value = 1

Where 1 is the page on the PagePanel you are wanting to go to. Adjust this as necessary for the page you want to go to when creating Next and Back buttons.

I hope this helps!

We are coming from a vb environment with a large app with lots of forms , just wondered what the equivalent was , MDI type apps one main window with lots of forms inside

Oh, that is fairly simple, then. Nothing to do with Mac OS X sheet and drawer windows.

In the navigator Build settings, click Windows. On the right pane, set MDI to ON, you can set the MDI caption. Then all the windows in the app will appear within the MDI window.

See also http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/MDIWindow

Thanks I will try this later today

I would highly suggest you change you design thinking, and NOT use MDI ,
MDI is a design paradigm that even MICROSOFT is discourgaging these days.

Using SDI (Single Document Interface) is much more flexible, and allows you to take advantage of multiple monitors (which is more common place today that 30 yrs ago)

[quote=201376:@Dave S]I would highly suggest you change you design thinking, and NOT use MDI ,
MDI is a design paradigm that even MICROSOFT is discourgaging these days.

Using SDI (Single Document Interface) is much more flexible, and allows you to take advantage of multiple monitors (which is more common place today that 30 yrs ago)[/quote]

I suspect they used MDI in Windows 1 up to 3.2 to avoid litigation from Apple for copying the finder…

One thing is for sure, MDI is nowhere to be seen in Microsoft current design guidelines for Windows based applications https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn688964(v=vs.85).aspx

I just played with an MDI app. To get another backcolor than grey, I set the default window to full screen, and placed code in its Activate event to make sure it stays at the bottom.

The result is amazing : it looks very much like the Mac finder, with the menu bar on top. It would take very little to add a dock …

What is amazing is that the window style does not comply with the system. In Windows 10 they are normally borderless, which is not at all the case here. They look much more like what the IDE shows.

I wrote several sdi application, under Vb6 all forms can belong at VBP visual basic project .
I am moving to xojo, my vb6 procect has more theen 12 forms which are called from a menu handlers (many menu item).
Any example about this ?

That really would depend on how your VB code operated
Some can be moved to Xojo almost as is
Some not at all