msgbox without the annoying beep

Hi
Is there any extra parameters to use with msgbox to remove that beep ?
thanks and regards

Use a window instead.

This is a long shot…
I think MsgBox calls the system message box, and if that has an icon (Question/Information etc) then the OS will cause a beep or a flash to notify the user.

a/ Try removing the icon part
b/ Try using MessageDialog instead
and if neither of those do it, its time to ‘roll your own’ as Michel suggests.

The OS X IDE Beeps al the time (here) while the Windows IDE is silent as death.

So, use the Windows IDE ;-:slight_smile:

The Mac beep can be controlled from System Preferences. This is meant for the user to control, not the developer.
Interfering with alerts would make your app less usable for those with assistive devices and settings.

So, don’t ever use the Windows IDE :wink:

On Windows, the MsgBox does beep no matter what.

Therefore the sensible and far from difficult to implement for a cross platform MsgBox is to use a rather simple to build window :

• One window
  • One canvas
  • One label
  • One OK button

No, actually - if you don’t like that sound, turn it off.

The reason you should use MsgBox or MessageDialog is that those methods are actually tied into the system events for assistive access. Not all users have access to sound cues (ie hard of hearing) and use visual cues instead. Creating your own window does not help these users understand your messages. If you have an alert to your user, use MsgBox or MessageDialog. (and if the sound bothers you, turn it off on your system.)

MsgBox, MessageDialog, NSAlert, and such are tied into Assistive Devices. By using these methods you can ensure your software works well and is easy for all users. Or are you intentionally dismissing handicapped users?

There is a vicious form of intellectual terrorism that consists of systematically find some reasons to shame with the most cruel form of politically correct.

Horacio asked for a method to suppress the audio confirmation. I provided an answer. That’s it. I am sorry for the visually impaired, but they did not cross my mind. Now am not catholic and will not feel the guilt you want to viciously instill. I thought this forum was for exchanging technical aspects, not for emotional blackmail.

Indeed assistive devices are here to be used. But to take an example, designing a graphic program has never been an attempt to dismiss anybody. At one point, it becomes ridiculous.

Intentionally dismissing. So low…

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Windows 7 don’t have and I’m pretty sure there is no sound in Windows 8.

My Win 7 machine is quite old. Maybe I’ve turned it off? I can’t promise… But however, the Win 8 machine is very new and i know I did not turn off any sound.

I really HATE these sounds and yes, it’s a step in the right direction!!
I see no reason why the computer can’t be just silent.

[quote=137386:@Jakob Krabbe]Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Windows 7 don’t have and I’m pretty sure there is no sound in Windows 8.

My Win 7 machine is quite old. Maybe I’ve turned it off? I can’t promise… But however, the Win 8 machine is very new and i know I did not turn off any sound.

I really HATE these sounds and yes, it’s a step in the right direction!!
I see no reason why the computer can’t be just silent.[/quote]

Windows 8 and Windows 10 msgbox stupidly beep…

You may have turned it off.

Strange… really!! Especially on the Win 8 machine, as I bought just a few months ago!

I can ensure you, there are no beeps, even less annoying beeps!

But also, of-course it was shipped with the Swedish version. Maybe there are no beeps in the Swedish version of Windows?

If i remember, you can remove the “Beep” Device in the Device Manager on older Windows Version. (No joke) :slight_smile:

[quote=137394:@Jakob Krabbe]Strange… really!! Especially on the Win 8 machine, as I bought just a few months ago!

I can ensure you, there are no beeps, even less annoying beeps!

But also, of-course it was shipped with the Swedish version. Maybe there are no beeps in the Swedish version of Windows?[/quote]

You made me doubt. I just checked : msgbox does beep in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview. But not in Mac OS X.

When I install any version of Windows disabling the annoyimg system sounds is one of the first things I do. My experience is that they are always enabled by default.

Julen