Moving to cocoa

Hello!!!
I am using xojo 2014 r2.1
I am trying to use cocoa for mac build. When I build the application it produces the .tar file without any error. but when I right click and click on extract I get the following error.

! D:\Xojo\SourceFixed\Source\Builds - Net2.xojo_project\Mac OS X (Cocoa Intel)\et2.app.tar: Cannot open Versions\Current\Resources (Net2.app\Contents\Frameworks\XojoFramework.framework\Resources --> Versions\Current\Resources)
! D:\Xojo\SourceFixed\Source\Builds - Net2.xojo_project\Mac OS X (Cocoa Intel)\et2.app.tar: Symbolic link points to missing file
! D:\Xojo\SourceFixed\Source\Builds - Net2.xojo_project\Mac OS X (Cocoa Intel)\et2.app.tar: Cannot open Versions\Current\XojoFramework (Net2.app\Contents\Frameworks\XojoFramework.framework\XojoFramework --> Versions\Current\XojoFramework)
! D:\Xojo\SourceFixed\Source\Builds - Net2.xojo_project\Mac OS X (Cocoa Intel)\et2.app.tar: Symbolic link points to missing file

And when I choose carbon option and repeat these steps then I get no errors.
Any ideas what could be going wrong?

[quote=264448:@Kevin Smith]Hello!!!
I am using xojo 2014 r2.1
I am trying to use cocoa for mac build. When I build the application it produces the .tar file without any error. but when I right click and click on extract I get the following error.[/quote]

Are you extracting on Mac ?

On windows 10 and Mac both. And on both I get the same error.

this statement confuses me

Where does a .tar file enter into the compile sequence?

When I build application for mac the output I get is .tar

Have you tried to build your app on a Mac?

From the error message it seems the app you are using to extract has issues with symbolic links. On PC that would make sense : Linux/Unix symlinks simply do not exist. Reason why one should never extract the Mac app there and copy it to OS X for use, but rather, copy the Tar and extract it on Mac.

It is more surprising to see these errors on Mac. Have you done any recompaction of the extracted tar on PC ?

I tried to reproduce the issue with a short test program but it does not appear under Windows 10 with Winzip.

It would greatly help if you posted a tar that demonstrates the issue, and tell which Windows system you are using, as well as which utility you used to extract the archive. Same thing on Mac.

Download from the App Store: The Unarchiver. It is free, works fine for plenty of things, and works fine with Xojo .tar.

BTW : extracting the tar on PC will damage the Mac App. Xojo uses tar archives precisely to protect symbolic links, resource forks and permissions, so once extracted on Mac, the app bundle works as expected.

The reason why Carbon seems immune may have to do with more recent Cocoa bundle structure requirements which mandate symbolic links and some precise permissions.

https://forum.xojo.com/12162-symbolic-links-inside-xojo-framework/0

How do I post file in the post? I am not able to find the attachment option.

Open a free DropBox.com account, place the file in it, and post the public URL.

link text
Here is the link. I uploaded on google drive. Let me know if it works

No error with Winzip on PC. Although as I wrote above, the uncompressed content should never be used subsequently on Mac, and can only be peeked at for curiosity.

A double click on testfor.app.tar on Mac under El Capitan uncompresses it just fine, and the app runs.

What is the program you use on PC to uncompress the tar archive ?

winrar

Well, when I run Winrar as administrator, as suggested by it when errors are mentioned, it extracts without a glitch.

Once again, though, it is no point to extract the Mac tar archive on PC : it should only be extracted on Mac. And on Mac all is needed is to double click on the tar archive, OS X will take care of it without any error.