Mojave still runs old apps?

I was under the impression that Mojave would not run 32 bit apps at all and that they were doing away with Quicktime support altogether. I installed Mojave on a disk partition and it seems to run my QT-based RealStudio app just fine. QuickTime 7 also works. I’m wondering if this is somehow due to my using a disk partition and not a clean install of Mojave over OSX 10.13? Or is Apple just going to pull the rug out from under 32 bit apps at some point? I never installed QT 7 on my Mojave partition, but it was able to launch it via my app even though it was only on the older OSX partition. So I’m a bit confused. I’m working on an updated 64-bit version of my app using the new version of XOJO 2018 (sans QuickTime), so it shouldn’t be a problem, but I wanted to make sure I tested it properly to know it’s going to work in Mojave. Didn’t want to burn OSX 10.13 just yet, so I’m testing via a partition. At least it makes me think I’m not going to get inundated with complaints that my app isn’t running in Mojave before I have it ready.

From what I recall, Mojave would be the last MacOS to support 32 bit apps. Since High Sierra the warning is given so as to offer time for developers to go full 64 bit.

The MAS was the first to have enforced the 64 bit requirement.

Patrick. If you have a link where I could DL your app, I can test it on a full Mojave install.

I run a lot of 32bit things (Xojo-built and otherwise) on Mojave (including some of Apple’s own helper tools).

No issues on anything that I’ve seen.

No issues with mine either. I have a really old 32-bit Xojo app (maybe first generation Cocoa?) that still runs fine.

However, we did have a client report an issue with an app not running in Mojave because of an Einhugur DateControl compatibility issue.

Apple’s dialog about 32-Bit apps being incompatible caused a lot of confusion.

They explained it at WWDC as Mojave being the last version to support 32-Bit apps, but then they went and added that scary dialog in a 10.13.x update, causing many consumers to believe that they needed 64-Bit apps today, whereas in actual fact, 10.15 (fall 2019) is when they need 64-Bit apps.

I am frustrated with their decision to do this, as effectively they were telling us one thing, and then leading our customers to believe a different thing, and it was done in a way that customers lose confidence in you. I guess, if they’d told the truth to the end customer, few people would want to update “We’re removing functionality from the system that this application needs, so it won’t work in a future version of the macOS”.

[quote=411421:@Sam Rowlands]Apple’s dialog about 32-Bit apps being incompatible caused a lot of confusion.

I am frustrated with their decision to do this, as effectively they were telling us one thing, and then leading our customers to believe a different thing, and it was done in a way that customers lose confidence in you. I guess, if they’d told the truth to the end customer, few people would want to update “We’re removing functionality from the system that this application needs, so it won’t work in a future version of the macOS”.[/quote]

I guess their plan is to scare the users enough for them to contact the developers to pressure them into the 64 bit conversion.

Well, it’s working. My team is hard at work moving our primary apps to Windows and Linux 64bit.

macOS Mojave 10.14 is the last version to support 32-bit apps.

I summarized the macOS march to 64-bit in this blog post: Status of 32-bit and 64-bit macOS Apps

thanks for all the replies. I’m still pushing on to get the 64-bit done as soon as possible. Just glad it’s not going to cause my customers to freak out in the meantime that the app doesn’t work for them. that really was confusing when they announced that at WWDC. i must have totally misunderstood what they were saying.

My today tests with old applications on Mojave does not flag 32 bits applications.

I may have run one 32 bits application after my clean install (some days ago) and it may report that, and stop after that initial report.

[quote=411416:@Bob Keeney]No issues with mine either. I have a really old 32-bit Xojo app (maybe first generation Cocoa?) that still runs fine.

However, we did have a client report an issue with an app not running in Mojave because of an Einhugur DateControl compatibility issue.[/quote]

Is this some issue that we need to do something about ? Or is it outdated components in play there or something else ?

(We do have DateControl out for Mojave)

Thanks

Björn

[quote=411658:@Björn Eiríksson]Is this some issue that we need to do something about ? Or is it outdated components in play there or something else ?

(We do have DateControl out for Mojave)

Thanks

Björn[/quote]
It’s outdated components.