Min. macOS version for Xojo 2024R1

I am correct that Xojo 2024R1 can only compile macOS apps for macOS 10.14 and higher?

If yes, when did this happen and which Xojo version can be used for macOS 10.13 or older?

Correct, see Full System Requirements for this releases
https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_release.html#system-requirements

That was the same as 2023r4, you can review more previous System Requirements here: Previous releases — Xojo documentation

1 Like

https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_previous_releases/2022r3.html

This version should build for older macOS

The last Xojo IDE that said that will run on macOS 10.13 is 2022r3.2.
Then Apple released ARM and that needed 10.14 to build ARM/Universal apps.
Maybe you can use a version newer than 2022r3.2 by changing the minimum to 10.13 and building for x86 only?

For clarity’s sake, the current version of Xojo cannot build for :

OS X 10.13 High Sierra released in 2017.

vs.

MacOS 13 Ventura released in 2022

(thanks for the clear OS versioning Apple :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thank you everyone to clarify this!

Will use 2023r3.2 for older macOS version.

Maybe just a typo but to be clear is 2022r3.2

Yep… 2022r3.2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I will make it a little less clear.

Yes, Xojo does not officially support pre-Mojave. However, by setting the minimum OS in the Inspector below the default 10.14, and building now with 2024r1.1, my projects still support High Sierra. Indeed, I could go lower still except for the High Sierra limit set in recent years by MBS. I am testing this on a Fusion VM.

Mind you, I have to send a built app over to the HS VM to test; remote debugging below Mojave does not work.

1 Like

Building x86 64-bit, right? or you can build as Universal?

I can do both. I made a point of checking that. :slight_smile:

For me, at least, the problem with just building with an older Xojo would be some (arbitrary?) changes in the language since then. The renaming of events in DisclosureTriangle, in 2024r1, is the most recent example.

1 Like

With the Xojo Framework evolving, and using newer SDKs, it may be possible that your newer built app crashes when “trying” new APIs not available in the old and not supported OS versions.

3 Likes

Indeed. My own code is full of SystemInformationMBS stuff, to look for just that. :slight_smile:

How? How could you know that currenly a

Dim ds As String = DateTime.Now.SQLDateTime.ReplaceAll(“-”,“”)

potentially use something incompatible, touching for example new Date calls or new Unicode calls? Who knows what? There are 1000 possible hidden traps you just did not fall into yet. :scream:

2 Likes

Great point. One example of what I’m doing is checking for Mojave+ before trying UNNotification. Otherwise I use the deprecated (though functional even now) NSNotification. In olden days I used Growl.

The projects in question have been maintained for years. One originally had Snow Leopard support, and the other even goes back to OS 9 days. With other projects, and definitely anything I would now start, I respect the Mojave minimum. So yes, I should have stipulated that one’s mileage will vary. And I test on any OS I claim to support :slight_smile:

1 Like

If this is an extensive test, that’s all that matters.

That’s my claim based on my mileage. :wink:

1 Like

These projects are customized FTP clients, and don’t get into the weeds of some of the possibilities you mentioned. It wasn’t that long ago, before an MBS update (Christian and Björn play heavily in my work), that I was even holding on to Yosemite. :slight_smile:

Great work. :wink:

1 Like