Microsoft Automation for 64-bit Microsoft Office

We have tons of smaller applications using Microsoft Automation with Office365. The plugin is working in Windows only, but that’s fine as most of these users are using Windows only. But it is only running if the whole app is compiled in 32-bit AND people are using the 32-bit version of Office365.

So far Microsoft recommended anyways to use the 32-bit version of Office365 only unless your daily job consists in working constantly with very large documents. But what are the plans of Xojo {@Geoff_Perlman I’m marking you, as I don’t know who is working on this in your team) on a long run? We are seeing lately a few customers installing 64-bit version of Office365. As long as they don’t use any 32-bit AddOns (same issue for those), the Office products will work for the end-user, but our apps will fail. It would be ideal if we could check for the installed version in our Setup program and either deploy a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. Are there any plans to deploy a 64-bit version of Microsoft automation? I assume not, as it is probably not as simple as compiling it for 64-bit :frowning:

The Office Automation feature is supported on 64-bit. It sounds like you have an installer and you’ll need to update your installer to detect which version of Office 365 is installed (32 bit or 64 bit) so that you can install the corresponding version of your app.

If you are saying that your 64 bit app doesn’t work with the 64 bit version of Office, let me know.

Maybe is related.
I’m upgrading an old app (big project) to API2 and 64bit (Mac and Win). All ok.
I’m using some automation (to indesign) and on Win i use an OLE object.

Sadly, it doesn’t work on 64bit. the ole object doesn’t recognise the parameters.
For now I had to downgrade to 32bit on Win.

Ah! This makes a lot of sense. Last time I tried I used a 64-bit App but with 32-bit Office … good to know it is all working for the future.

Following the same logic as mentioned as solution above, you will need a 64-bit “version” of this ole object. But often those don’t exist (yet) or they are renamed.