Michel Bujardet's comment from an earlier post

Michael said: “The present state of Windows is that since the support of 32 bit executables is absolutely perfect, you can produce 32 bit exe and that’s enough.”

OK. Need I include a setup that will install the 32 bit app in Program Files (x86) in x64 computers and a setup that will install it in Program Files in a 32 bit computer?

All installer creators will do this automatically.
Inno, Advanced, Actual Installer…

[quote=469349:@Jeff Tullin]All installer creators will do this automatically.
Inno, Advanced, Actual Installer…[/quote]
InnoSetup requires you set the right flags and will not do this automatically.

Edit: Here is the thread, and Thom’s post which has an example script.
https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/467813

Must have been lucky… :slight_smile:

[quote=469350:@Tim Parnell]InnoSetup requires you set the right flags and will not do this automatically.

Edit: Here is the thread, and Thom’s post which has an example script.
https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/467813[/quote]

Not really. Setting flags and the example are just for an installer with BOTH 32 and 64 bits app. This post is asking for a 32 bit app only installer.

A 32 bit only installer will install to Program Files (x86) or Program Files, (or the languaje variants) autimatically. You cant have a hard coded path. As Jeff said, all installer creators will do this automatically they use the Defined Systems Program Files for 32 bits apps.

Ohp, it seems I’ve misunderstood the intent of OP. I stand corrected.

Sorry, Jeff!

Indeed, Windows will install 32 bits programs either in Program Files on 32 bit Windows, or in Program Files (x86) on 64 bit window. It is taken care automatically by the installer.

Michel, How would you like to compile a setup installer for me. I’ll pay, of course. I keep getting errors when running the app after installation. Please consider it. I’m at the end of my rope.

Albert, which app are you using to create the installer ?

A lot of people here will advise Innosetup. But it is kind of complex, because it is very powerful.

If all you need is a basic installer, you may want to have a look at CreateInstall.

It is a freeware you can download and install easily. It comes with CreateInstall Assistant, which will let you create an installer very easily, by simply filling up forms.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Michel !
I’ll try it.

The Innosetup QuickStart Pack includes the Inno Script Studio script editor with an assistant.

I use Actual Installer.
Took a matter of minutes to create a working install for a Xojo 2017 compiled app.
(Newer Xojo versions that require extra Microsoft runtimes could possibly be trickier)

I believe into finding a reliable workflow, and not change installer unless something gets broken.

I have been using CreateInstall since the early 2000s. It never broke since, so I had no reason to change.

I did try Innosetup just to see, but there was no evident advantage. Besides, I had all these scripts for CI and the work to go from one software to another would have been significant.

If Actual Installer works for you, all that counts in the end is to provide users with a reliable installer.