Menu editor

Two simple questions about Menu editor and managing items in MainMenuBar :

1 - How do I order items ? They seem to appear in the order they are created. Is there a secret way to move them up and down ? Nothing moves :frowning:

2 - How do I delete a menuItem ? File/Delete, delete key or right-click/Delete do not work as they do anywhere else in the IDE. The only way I found was to save as Xojo project and manually edit MainMenuBar.xojo_menu. Then afterwards save as binary and go back to other chores.

The manual edit workaround does work, even to change order, but seems awfully cumbersome when accustomed to the usual elegance of editing and moving objects in the IDE.

1. Use the mouse to select and move each MenuItem entry.

I did not try moving items in the menus themselves. I was trying to do that in the left hand column of the IDE. Thanks !

Remains the issue of deleting menu itemsā€¦

OK. Got it. Backspace when an item is selected in the menu.

Itā€™s nice, but somehow not being able to edit in the left hand side column seems inconsistent with the general editing in the IDE.

Now I know, but it would have been nice to read it somewhere in the documentation.

You could have read it in the ā€œUser Guide-Fundamentalsā€ chapter 7 which has a section on the menu editor.

RTFM. Thanks :slight_smile:

Michel:
Last time I use RTFM (not like you, but to the poster), the poster tells ā€œit is rudeā€ (I was rude !).

Go figure.

[quote=41149:@Emile Schwarz]Michel:
Last time I use RTFM (not like you, but to the poster), the poster tells ā€œit is rudeā€ (I was rude !).

Go figure.[/quote]

Thatā€™s right. I am rude with myself. Sometimes the manual if not F, though. Most of the time in fact. It is just C for confusing RTCM, or Overaboundant RTOM. Which works too for Apple Obfuscated documentation.

Is it possible that some posters come to this forum like they would to consult a priest, and expect the right degree of compunction in every reply ? Maybe they lack a healthy dose of humility ? I consider replies like yours highly valuable, because it maybe ā€˜read the manualā€™, which I easily confess I had not done for that particular topic. But it was precise, and gave me all I needed to, precisely, refer to the manual (which is not F).

Ignorance is not a sin, it is a curable disease. As long as I know there are more things I do not know than things I master, I have a chance for improvement. Thank you for sharing your knowledge :slight_smile:

My pleasure.

RTFM, in my mind and when I learnet what was that beast, is a simple way to tell to read the manual before asking so silly question (that is in the manual).

Unfortunately, sometimes I loose my temper when I read really, really basic question (asked by an alpha or beta ā€œuserā€).

I try to refrain myself, but it is hard: I try to read everything / averywhere I can before asking question.

I do not think the F in RTFM apply to the quality of the manual nor to the people who wrote it.

Long time ago, in the users minds, the manual was something to stay far away; unfortunately (for them / everyone), the manual holds very important information (and was large, printed on paper).

Beside the price (cost), this may be the reason why no more manual exists in this industry. And this is a shame.

At nearly 60 y/o, I can remember Apple manuals for the Apple II, MacOS 6, 7, 8: a must have / must read. Newbies learn things at any page / power users learn things too (less).

[quote=41372:@Emile Schwarz]At nearly 60 y/o, I can remember Apple manuals for the Apple II, MacOS 6, 7, 8: a must have / must read. Newbies learn things at any page / power users learn things too (less).

[/quote]

I lost long ago the manual of the Apple IIe I got in 1982. It was a monument of clarity and didactic pleasure. Since then, Apple went into online documentation, and dived into the obscure side of being obnoxiously esoteric and abstruse. Their documentation is as unusable as their hardware is sexy. Too badā€¦

As for manuals, I am too from the books era, and have to confess that reading on screen, even on a tablet, is much harder for me. So I did not see what I needed and asked a silly question :wink: