MBS Xojo Conference in Berlin 2017

The hotel room contingent expired.
As long as rooms are available, they can of course still be booked for our conference rate.

To all our US friends coming to Europe in 2 months, please keep this issue on your radar:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-usa-visa-idUSKBN1691Q9

Yes, the vote is in, apparently:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/europe-visa-free-travel-americans-european-parliament-vote-a7609406.html

The European Parliament has voted to end visa-free travel for Americans within the EU.

It comes after the US failed to agree visa-free travel for citizens of five EU countries – Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania – as part of a reciprocity agreement. US citizens can normally travel to all countries in the bloc without a visa.

The vote urges the revocation of the scheme within two months, meaning Americans will have to apply for extra documents for 12 months after the European Commission implements a “delegated act” to bring the change into effect.

And Privacy Shield is next overdue though this would affect XOJO Inc. esp. Xojo Hosted Services maybe we will hear more about by Geoff in Berlin.

oh sooner than expected, I told ya (link is in German please use Google Translate):
https://netzpolitik.org/2017/europaeische-justizkommissarin-droht-transatlantisches-datenschutzabkommen-zu-kippen/

And another US American joins us. Great to see people invest time and money to fly from California to Berlin to come for a visit!
Anyone else?

On google flights I just saw that you can fly for 562 Euro ($599) from Los Angeles to Berlin via Stockholm.
That is very cheap for an trans Atlantic flight!

This conference is your chance to meet Björn Einhugur.
He creates plugins for Xojo and (as far as I know) this is the first time he comes to a conference.

6 weeks left. If you are not signed up, please do so soon.

We got our first attendee from South America. A Xojo developer from Ecuador joins us, so we now have 17 countries represented.

If you suggested a presentation and you don’t see you on the schedule, please let me know soon.
A few topics were not on the list as I didn’t get details.

Checking flights for attendees:
From Minnesota (USA) you can fly to Berlin for only 790€ (via United from 1st May to 8th May 2017, stop in Newark).
Or Los Angeles (USA) via Reykjavik wie WOW for only 488€ (3rd May to 8th May 2017).
If you are flexible on dates, you can always find those very cheap flights and join our conference!

One month till our conference.
See you tonight in a month in Berlin.

Here’s an idea for all attendees:

I, for one, am still not happy with the Xojo IDE’s usability. I still prefer the older Real Studio for editing my projects, wherever possible.

I guess some of you have also some gripes with the new IDE in that regard.

Geoff has repeatedly stated to me other others in the past that he wants the new IDE not be behind of the old IDE’s features. But still, it does.

Filing bug (or enhancement) reports about this is helping much, either, unfortunately. I believe that has to do with the fact that we all use the IDE differently, and found different ways to get results, and the new IDE is not taking that into account enough.

Therefore, I’d like to demonstrate some of the shortcomings of the new IDE to Geoff in person, so that he can witness them and understand himself why it might need improvement. Or suggest alternatives that we can then respond to.

The goal here is not to complain about an unsatisfying IDE but to demonstrate what could be improved. I want an open dialog, because I want to use the new IDE, but it’s hindering me in my ways too much, and I am sure that can still be improved, Xojo Inc. willing.

Therefore, I’d like to propose to Geoff to have an informal get-together outside of the regular session schedule, where a few of us sit together, having prepared a few things to show him.

Before I suggest that to him, I’d like to know who else would be interested in participating, actively (not just as a passive watcher).

I’d then also propose we co-ordinate the points we want to address, so that we’re not ending up in a chaos :slight_smile:

Don’t know if you own the XDC 2016 videos, so therefore you might not know: The IDE will be revamped thoroughly as part of the 2017 timeline. I am sure your (or others) proposals will help in that transformation, but I would recommend taking a look at the plans Geoff revealed. To me they look very promising.

[quote=324471:@Thomas Tempelmann]Here’s an idea for all attendees:

I, for one, am still not happy with the Xojo IDE’s usability. I still prefer the older Real Studio for editing my projects, wherever possible.

I guess some of you have also some gripes with the new IDE in that regard.

Geoff has repeatedly stated to me other others in the past that he wants the new IDE not be behind of the old IDE’s features. But still, it does.

Filing bug (or enhancement) reports about this is helping much, either, unfortunately. I believe that has to do with the fact that we all use the IDE differently, and found different ways to get results, and the new IDE is not taking that into account enough.

Therefore, I’d like to demonstrate some of the shortcomings of the new IDE to Geoff in person, so that he can witness them and understand himself why it might need improvement. Or suggest alternatives that we can then respond to.

The goal here is not to complain about an unsatisfying IDE but to demonstrate what could be improved. I want an open dialog, because I want to use the new IDE, but it’s hindering me in my ways too much, and I am sure that can still be improved, Xojo Inc. willing.

Therefore, I’d like to propose to Geoff to have an informal get-together outside of the regular session schedule, where a few of us sit together, having prepared a few things to show him.

Before I suggest that to him, I’d like to know who else would be interested in participating, actively (not just as a passive watcher).

I’d then also propose we co-ordinate the points we want to address, so that we’re not ending up in a chaos :)[/quote]

Richard is still using RealBasic because he does like using the new IDE for the user interface like setting the control, alignment and tab order. Since I do mostly coding so i prefer to use the new IDE.

We would love to join you for the informal get together.

Hi, Trisha, I guess? :slight_smile: Check your first sentence - it makes little sense to me the way you wrote it. Is there a “not” missing, perhaps?

I would be happy to see Thomas sign up.

And you guys can simply sit together at lunch or meet for dinner together one night.

You can even ask the hotel if the private dining room is free.

Maybe Geoff will show us the progress made on the IDE since XDC 2016. :slight_smile:

hahaha… yes…richard does NOT like the new IDE.

And another one signed up.
For all the others maybe people, please give yourself a kick, book hotel, travel and ticket now so you have a place to be.

I know it’s hard to separate some Xojo developers from the office, but meeting others and talk to them without explaining what Xojo is, can be a great experience.